I have a silly question but I really need some help..

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Ok so my whole basement is full of fish tanks and it gets really hot and humid down there so I have 2 big dehumidifiers down there (not by any tanks) to help keep the humidity down, A friend of mine seen me empty the bucket out in the sink and told me I was crazy!!!

He says the water collected in the dehumidifier is the best water you could use in a fish tank. He says that is better then RO water... Now I have been keeping fish for over 30 years and have 14 tanks going right now and never in my life have I ever heard anybody say dehumidifier water is good or safe for a tank... Have I been missing something all these years or is my buddy just CRAZY????

Thank you very much for any help anyone can give me with this..

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i would think the water collected is pretty pure h2o. when water in your tanks evaporates its leaves on all the heavy minerals in the tank. this a good question.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I personally wouldn't do it but a really good way to answer the question is to ask another one: Would you drink the water?

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
NO NO NO
Unless you don't like your fish.
It's full of every chem in the air I have a buddy that keeps birds.
He tried a tank and did that killed all the fish by morning.

RO water is fine to drink. BUT it has ZERO benefits since there are no nutrients in it.
Some of the facilities I go to use it to make coffee.

RO water is used on a daily basis around the world for hemodialysis.

De humidifier water is full of pollutants from the air.

I know a thing or two about water quality.
one of the RO rooms I work in with a light description and alot of pix.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...at-work-for-you-hard-core-Revers-Osmosis-guys

Rich

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Well I don't know about ZERO...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
It has no benefit to a person unless you are trying to detoxify your body. since RODI is so acidic and void of any minerals it will actually leach more minerals on its way out then it deposits.

it has its benefits in cooking where you would want a base that is void of any unwanted dissolved contaminant. Just like the above poster said they see them in coffee shops all the time. There you want something that is only going to show the flavor of the coffee not the flavor of the water + the coffee.

also the water from my dehumidifier is loaded with crap shows up more ppm then my tap.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've read that the material of the coils makes a big difference in its potability. some are less likely to leach heavy metals than others.

They also collect lots of dust and mold spores. Exponentially more than what ambiently settles on the surface of your tanks. The catch basin on a dehumidifier should be cleaned regularly. They get nasty.

If you really want to do it I would say collect some water and have it tested maybe?

Water really is cheap. Save the dehumidifier water for the house plants.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I completely agree with all of you guys.. As I thought my buddy is just crazy!! And no, by no means do I want to use this water or have I used any of it.. After he said that it just had me wondering if it was true..

Thank you very much to everyone who replied and helped me prove him CRAZY... LOL.. Thanks guys.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The cold coils on my dehumidifier are metal. Water in the air condenses on them and drips into the holding tank. The fan pushes a good amount of air past the coils where dust and stuff in the air will collect on the damp coils. The amount of metal leaching into the water must be low as will the total amount stuff from the air. The stuff in the air is what you breathe and some settles onto the surface of the water in the fish tanks anaway. As the dehumidifier tank stays damp for long peroids there could be a chance for stuff from the air to grow? This question may require that someone put the water in a test tank and gives us a report.

I use a dehumidifier during the cold months to deal with the extra humidity from my tanks. I have been putting the water collected in my washing machine. The water has so far looked clean from the dehumidifier. I also collect the first few quarts of cold water in a bucket when waiting for the hot water to make it thru the pipes for a shower. I put this into the washing machine as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store