Water Cow Goby won't eat

Natural Born Chaos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Canada, Alberta
I recently added a 6-7" "Water Cow Goby" into my aquarium (Eleotris Picta), for some reason I had thought it was a Marbled Goby, but I'm good with this one and his very grumpy looking face. The first one I got actually ended up dying (my water was/is absolutely perfect, all my fish are healthy and eating, also within the last month added new fish in, which are very healthy and settling in well), he wasn't eating, but I had just assumed it was because he was new in the tank and needed to settle in still. After it died, I exchanged it for another a couple days ago. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to get another one, I wasn't there to get it, I had my mum to pick it up and she told me after that they weren't eating at the aquarium store, she was told they might need live.

I had tried several times to get the first one to eat, I had tried a variety of foods (shrimp, mussels, salmon roe, tilapia fillets, catfish fillets, prawns, oysters, various chopped 4" fish, ect), as well live earthworms, Hikari Massivore pellets, pretty much everything but live fish (it wasn't live food day yet!). After I added the new one into my aquarium I have also tried the above listed foods as well as feeder platies just tonight, they literally swarmed around it but he showed no interest. With the frozen foods, I brought the food right to him and he wouldn't take anything. I haven't been able to find a huge amount of information on them, but from what I have read, they're apparently huge pigs and will eat just about anything they can.

I'll give it a few more days, I was thinking about moving it into a 30 gallon breeder and perhaps treating him for internal parasites, however, if that were the case than I'd probably need to treat my 180 as well. But as I did say, all my other fish are very healthy, eating daily, I just fed them a huge meal so they wouldn't have room for the feeders (so the goby would have a better chance to get them). Like I said, I have give it a few days, but I don't want to wait too long, because if I do and it ends up dying that's probably $100 I will never see again, assuming they won't credit what I paid for him a second time.

Any suggestions on how to get this guy to eat, or what they prefer to eat would be very much appreciated, if he doesn't start eating by Monday, I'm going to try and take him back before he dies so maybe I can actually get some money back and he can die in their tanks. >.>

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d still give it time and make sure ur water is clean. Likely ur lfs was giving it live food and to convert to a prepared food will take some time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store