Future tank size and possible tank mates?

Skyhawks85R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
Mukilteo, WA
Hi there, so I may be getting two 2-2.5" IT on this upcoming Tuesday or Wednesday. These will be my first dats ever and my first real big time fish in terms of size potential. They'll be going into a 55 gal for the short term then probably into my 75 gal once 4-5" then probably a 120 stout down the road. My question is what is a good tank after that for at least two dats and should i go bigger if say I wanted to add something else such as a arowana. Would a 240 work? Does anyone just keep them species only, every video on them shows them with other large fish? I currently have five 1" spotted silver dollars in the 55 gal but I will most likely move them out so they don't out compete the dats for food. Would they make good dithers down the road? Also has anyone used a K1 filter with dats? I ask cause I don't know if they'll be freaked out with the constant motion of turning k1 media. Sorry for all the questions.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Good that your starting with indos. Other dats can be really frustrating trying to get them on pellets etc. Your dats will either do good or bad with dithers. If they are too small and will fit in the dats mouth they will eat them. They get to be monsters so 180 is about the bare minimum but I'd say shoot for that 240. Good luck and I hope your dat experiences are better than mine are. I think they are an awesome fish just so different from the rest. They take some time of getting used to. After that I'm sure they will be amazing. Good luck and post pics when you get em.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
2 will fight like crazy

They do best kept solo

You can force them to like together but but you will always have one bully

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Would a third dat help the aggression? Also a k1 reactor shouldnt impact on the fish. When done correctly k1 reactors are awsome bio filters.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Would a third dat help the aggression? Also a k1 reactor shouldnt impact on the fish. When done correctly k1 reactors are awsome bio filters.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It can help spread it out some but it will just mean (from my experience) that another dat will end up not reaching his potential in the long run

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
If you're getting those Indo's that small those tanks should work. I agree you'll need either 1 or more than 2 or 3.

Right now i have 7 in my 300gal that range in size from 7" to 14".. I know it doesn't work for many but i have ZERO aggression in my tank.. I keep mine with other bigger fish too though. I did have an arowana until i busted through my lids and got out.. :(
But i keep mine with some snook, severums, jurupari, and bichirs on the bottom. Works for me.. :)

Skyhawks85R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
Mukilteo, WA
So I did end up getting the two IT dats today. They look amazing and already began chowing down on black worms. Once I get a new phone I'll post pics. There both about 2.5" in length. To answer your questions why 2, well I honestly couldn't really give you a great answer. I figured there cheap i paid $25 a piece, banking on the fact that the shop that sent them to my LFS was keeping them in the same tank so hopefully they will be used to each other (so far no aggression but its only been a few hours). Also **** happens so if one kicks it for whatever reason I would still have another. However before you jump on me further, if they don't get along my buddy who is into monster fish (has a 240 gal running) is down to take one off my hands. Oh to also add a bit on the tank question, I was a LFS and really like the 210 dimensions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store