New guy

WinterSoldier

Feeder Fish
Sep 26, 2014
California
Hi, I'm new, living in Northern California. A long time keeper of Tanganika and Malawi cichlids. I recently went on a sport fishing trip in Hawaii, where we were catching peacock bass planted in a private lake. I'm now interested in using the pond in my greenhouse for keeping them. Just looking for information and advice. Thanks!

WinterSoldier

Feeder Fish
Sep 26, 2014
California
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure what subspecies this was. The markings on them were not as striking as what I've seen in a lot of the pics from aquarium keepers. Many of them had a lot of nice orange coloration. It was a catch and release trip. We were using 1" live blue tilapia as bait. My son had a blast.

IMG_0247.JPG

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure what subspecies this was. The markings on them were not as striking as what I've seen in a lot of the pics from aquarium keepers. Many of them had a lot of nice orange coloration. It was a catch and release trip. We were using 1" live blue tilapia as bait. My son had a blast.
Wow that's great! I dont keep up with all the various peacock bass but I bet a pond full of those would be a fun pond to have.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Was that Lake Wilson in Wahiawa? You probably were catching Ocellaris Peacock Bass, or possibly a Monoculus/Ocellaris hybrid. Years ago, the state stocked our lakes and reservoirs with them for sport fishing. Peacock Bass are pretty easy to find nowadays. Depending on the variety, they can get a little expensive, but if you are interested in monster fish keeping, you will love Peacock Bass. Check out the Cichla section in the advanced forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

WinterSoldier

Feeder Fish
Sep 26, 2014
California
This was the Koloa bass fishing charter in Waita Reservoir in Kauai. There were several boats in the water. All the boats were catching fish nonstop.

I've seen several online companies that sell Peacocks. Ideally, I'd like to get a group of 2"-3" fish and grow them out in a 180 gallon tank. Once they reach about 8" or so, I figure they'll be ok to stock the pond. The pond sump and filtration system is pretty strong with 1/4 HP pump. I'm a little worried that if the fish are too small, they'll get sucked into the pump and get shredded.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Welcome to MFK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store