Stinger in Azul's Face...BACKWARDS

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
I'm feeding in the dark this morning and notice what looked to be a stinger in the face of my azul. Turned the lights on and indeed a stinger is in the face of my azul with the point forward and the base of the stinger stuck in his face. I conclude that he must've tried to eat it...all my Rays have their stingers and sheaths. Question is (which I'm really adverse to doing), should I net him and try to pull the stinger out? The advance options always freezes on my iPhone so I've attached a link to a video below. Please advise.

LJ

http://youtu.be/N7UgEb0mhyA

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Yeah I think you need to remove it. If it were me I'd catch him, sedate him with clove oil and pull the stinger out with pliers which ever way it comes out easier. Good luck.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Yes i would net him and yank it out. Should pull out pretty easily since the barbs are facing the right way

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Done...there's always drama at LJ's fish residence....geeesh!

Thanks KNH and Trev!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1411822218.010672.jpg

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Nice job!

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Now that it's out, the azul is no longer using his left swimming fin. It's just stuck on his side. Anyone ever seen this before?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Hopefully its just a temporary thing.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
It should heal and be fine. I always try to find loose stingers before something like this happens. I'm pretty sure I have at least one buried in my sand somewhere as I haven't been able to find it. This is a good wake up call for me. Off to find that missing barb......

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
It should heal and be fine. I always try to find loose stingers before something like this happens. I'm pretty sure I have at least one buried in my sand somewhere as I haven't been able to find it. This is a good wake up call for me. Off to find that missing barb......
Yea...I'm usually good about collecting the shed stingers. Somehow missed this one. Happy hunting!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store