Musk turtle community tank questions

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I recently aquired a musk turtle and I am 100% intrigued by him. I would love to have a turtle in my main display tank, but the one I have is only 1 inch big and may be too small to be placed with my 3-4 inch jack dempseys . I have found a lot of floating docks that I can use in my tank if I was to purchase another turtle. So my question is what size do my new turtle need to be so that it can go straight in with my jacks? My dempseys are currently living with about 6 small tetras and an angelfish. What kinds of fish are ideal tankmates for my 1 inch musk turtle? Thanks in advance

***Jack Dempsey Cichlid Lover***

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
He will never be able to go in with them. Both species will be able to harm the other at any size. No fish besides fish you're willing to let be eaten should be put in, and they should not be large enough to hurt the turtle. Just set up a 75 gallon that's a third land, a third shallow water, and a third deep water

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
I have a full grown common musk turtle in my main tank with my Jardini, FL gars, silver dollars, JD, convict, pleco and a few more. The turtle is not interested in any of the fish. He minds his own business. There have been no issues with him and any of the fish. Now other turtles like RES are not compatible with fish and will go after them but the musk should be fine. In terms of the size, as long as the JDs are not large enough to eat the musk or one of its limbs you should be ok. The main thing to worry about when a turtle is small, is that the current in the tank will not overpower him and he can get to the surface safely or he can drown.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I have a full grown common musk turtle in my main tank with my Jardini, FL gars, silver dollars, JD, convict, pleco and a few more. The turtle is not interested in any of the fish. He minds his own business. There have been no issues with him and any of the fish. Now other turtles like RES are not compatible with fish and will go after them but the musk should be fine. In terms of the size, as long as the JDs are not large enough to eat the musk or one of its limbs you should be ok. The main thing to worry about when a turtle is small, is that the current in the tank will not overpower him and he can get to the surface safely or he can drown.
Thanks! I agree, I figure it's better to introduce him while my jack dempsey's are small. I just added a fluval 405 to my tank. Will that filter cause too much current?

Sent from my SCH-R970C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
Thanks! I agree, I figure it's better to introduce him while my jack dempsey's are small. I just added a fluval 405 to my tank. Will that filter cause too much current?

NP. What size tank? What else do you have running on it? Do you have a basking area for him?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
60 gallon. I also have a Marineland 400 bio wheel. Yes I have a large floating stone

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
I am not sure how powerful the 405 is, but if the floating dock is on the opposite side of the tank where the output of the 405 is you should be ok. Best thing to do is keep your eye on him once you put him in.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Oh my Goodness!!!!! My floating dock came in the mail today but now that I finally have everything I need I am soon scared to put my little turtle in my dempsey tank. Idk put now the thought of it is making me nervous. I want to add him because it will be cool to have a turtle in my main tank but I don't want the little guy to loose a limb over it. My dempsey's are now 3.5 to 4 inches and my turtle is under 2 inches. So let's do a vote who think I should add the turtle and who don't think it's a good idea to add him to my dempsey community tank?????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store