Reverse under gravel filter?

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Anyone done it? Any images?

Thinking about this for my 125 all glass... (once I finish rebuilding it)
I am thinking about getting an Odyssea 14I for the main filtration, and running the return flow under the gravel. Perhaps using an under gravel filter plate, a couple inches of gravel, then 4 - 6" of coarse sand.

The tank is being designed for Ropefish, and will have lots of plants . I know, I will need to tie the plants down.

Will this work? Or, Should I stick with a more traditional setup?

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Main reason I am thinking about this is that the Ropes like calmer water. I figure RUGF will spread out the flow across the tank.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I ran reverse using powerheads for years. I think it utilizes the gravel as a bio very well. Minimal dead spots. You also don't have mulm building up under the plates. Your plants roots will get tied up to the plates on their own just fine. No need to worry about the plants once they get established.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
I've done it, of course that was back in the day when everyone used under gravel filters. It was a 90 with a Fluval 403 running into the under gravel filter. I was using gravel, not sand. The result was fabulous, the water was super polished. I had a group of Nicarguense in there and their colour was mind blowing. They were obviously happy with the water quality. I put an egg crate light diffuser over top of the UG filter so their wouldn't be any dead spots from the fish digging. Nics dig a lot!

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
This tank will support a small group of Ropefish, they like a sandy bottom. Still gathering bits and pieces to put it all together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store