Best species...

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
What would be the best pike species to go in a 700g tank with clown loaches, a fire eel, a kelberi peacock bass, and large cichlids, like Oscars, Chocolates, Uaru, synspilum, Pearsei, Carpintus, Loiselle, etc.? Would not want it to be able to eat anything over 6-8 inches when full grown, would prefer it the be nice looking, not too very aggressive, and max out around 12in. Is there a pike that would fit this description? I love the look of Lents, but it sounds like they are mean, mean, mean!

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am thinking either C. Tapajos Red or C. Xingu. Would one of these be better than the other? And where do I find one ? I have never seen one online.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
I say go for the Tapajos 1. They get tomato red and are a little less territorial than the lenticulata and marmorata. If you have $$$, a Zebrina would be nice to have, but they are really expensive.

Xingu have been out the market for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I agree. I have tapajos 1 from Rapps and tapajos l2 from snookn21. Both are in mixed cichlid communities. I think snookn21 might have some now. Both are great vendors for pikes.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Aquascape has some new pikes in, including Xingu l. Haven't seen any little orange pikes like that in a while.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
What is a good price for these? My LFS has some Red Pikes (not sure the species) right now, but they are listed at $125. They are big though, ~9-12in. Worth it? But that doesn't solve my other problem - I have no where to put them, because right now they are big enough to eat some of the fish I was planning to grow out with them... unless I gave them their own tank till everyone goes in the 700g...

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
What is a good price for these? My LFS has some Red Pikes (not sure the species) right now, but they are listed at $125. They are big though, ~9-12in. Worth it? But that doesn't solve my other problem - I have no where to put them, because right now they are big enough to eat some of the fish I was planning to grow out with them... unless I gave them their own tank till everyone goes in the 700g...
Worth it

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well the pbass are currently about 2inches, so they won't be in with pike that big for awhile! I just don't know if I want to set up a separate tank for the pike, since they are so much bigger than most my juvie fish they'd be able to eat most of them. They ate some full grown SAEs that were in the tank with them at the LFS, and keep charging a 4in arowana in the tank next to them, so my 2-4in cichlids would probably be toast. I only have a few cichlids big enough to avoid being eaten... ahhh!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store