Plywood sump box?

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
I see lots of glass sump tanks, even Rubbermaid tubs... Anyone have a plywood box sump tank?

Would it work as well? Build a box with dividers and bubble traps like a glass tank, seal the wood with fish safe epoxy. Install baffles, bubble traps, heater, light, plants, bio balls, pump... etc... close it up with a removable lid for access and cleaning...

I am still working out design ideas for the 125 gallon tank I am rebuilding.

I could cut in slots for the dividers so the inside would be easy to reconfigure or clean as well. Seems to me that if done right it would be quiet, and not allow evaporation. With a drain tap in the right spot, you could stop the flow from the tank, drain the sump and refill for water changes without disturbing the display tank. 125 gallon display with an 80 gallon sump box built into the stand...

Any thoughts? Or am I simply nuts?

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
I know 80 to 85F makes bio media happy. Would adding a bubbler or Co2 to the section with bio balls enhance the cultures?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im just a stubborn diy enthusiast. I'll do 9/10 things my self even if it's more expensive.

The only long term benefit I see to this is customization. That In it self can be worth it's weight in gold when it comes to custom fitment.

Rubbermaid tubs are used because theare cheap and easy.

Theres no reason you cannot use plywood. But the main reason people use plywood is because after a certain size it becomes. Cheaper than conventional tanks. At 80 gal I dont see any benefit over Glass or acrylic.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
To answer the question yeah you could make a plywood sump, and the benefits are limitless customisation. But the cost of materials, especially the epoxy sealant and the hassle of said sealant to me only makes sense on large scale projects. An80 gallon sump made from plywood would be a few hundred bucks, a big plastic tub from a farm supply store 100+bucks? If you want to do it go for it, building it to your exact specs may make up for the initial cost in the long run.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Kinda six of one, half dozen of another... I did not mention, I already have a full sheet of 3/4 marine plywood, and will have plenty of silicone since I have to reseal the 125. As for the epoxy, Since I will be redoing the bottom of the 125 with plywood, I need to get some anyway... So most of the materials will be on hand, Next, I have to build a stand for the 125 as well, so I can custom build the sump to fit.

Guess my main thought was wondering why I had not seen more about plywood sumps. Build expense seems like a good reason...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store