Who's digging up my tank?

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
So in my son's room I have a planted 29 gallon. Some neon tetras, glolight tetras, black neons, cherry barbs, golden barbs, rhomb barbs... couple of hatchetfish... 2 bamboo shrimp, an albino bristlenose, and some amano shrimp. Think that covers them all...

Tank has been up almost a year with no problems, PFS cap on organic PS...

About 3-4 weeks ago, someone started digging under the edge of one of my driftwood pieces... stirring up the potting soil and clouding my tank...

Who is it? No new fish have been added for probably 3-4 months...

The bristlenose? (It's close to 3" long) it's the only fish I could think of that might be doing it. Repeatedly I might add... after a water change I move the soil back and a day or two later it's dug out again...

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
It's the pleco. There are places here in FL where pleco's have been released and thriving and as the population grows with no fallen debris in the water to make as a suitable cave, they dig their own in shallow water. Turning the edges of ponds into swiss cheese. A friend of a friend has lost cattle to this when they go to drink, the ground collapses and they are stuck.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Alright. I just wonder why he started doing it out of the blue. Might be he's grown just enough... I never see him in the spot where he digs, he's always on the driftwood above it...

I'll possibly be hitting my LFS Tuesday when they get their fish shipments, since I haven't been in for a month or so, will see what they have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store