When will these give birth?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I got some tequila sunrise guppies the other night and they were all pretty pregnant when I got them already. I've never kept guppies or bred any type of livebearer so I'm not sure at what point they're going to drop. I can just make out the eyes of the fry in the 4 females and they're pretty round so should when should I put them in a breeder net because I don't want them in one to soon.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Zesty77

Feeder Fish
Aug 21, 2014
San Diego
They're fairly easy to breed , and have fry one a month or so, be sure to have rocks or
plants for them to hide in because they will get eaten fast a few will make it thru every batch.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a fry tank, I just need to know when they're giving birth to this batch since I can make out the fry in them.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
You never really know. It could be at any moment, and the number can vary a lot. Guppies store sperm so there's no telling when she fertilized her eggs and how many there are.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well i put one female in a breeder net because she looks the most pregnant, she was laying towards the bottom, and makes were chasing her where the fry come out so I think she's going to drop within a day or so. How long can a female go in a breeder net before she starts to get unhealthy? Also would she be better in a breeder net in the fry tank or should I just let her have birth in the 15G with the other 5 guppies and 5 Corys since there's hornwort at the top for fry to hide in.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
I'm breeding mine in a 55g salinity 1.008 brackish water ( plain feeder guppies)
I have a lot of plastic plants and other cheezy fake wood and stuff. they are in with the green spotted puffers for them to eat.

Like another said some always make it.

divemaster99
Also would she be better in a breeder net in the fry tank or should I just let her have birth in the 15G with the other 5 guppies and 5 Corys since there's hornwort at the top for fry to hide in.
High weeds up the sides tapered to the open in the middle \ _ / sorry about the poor ====ascii art==== and floating plants like you have. A lot more will make it just letting everything free swim with plenty of weed cover.
Also shutting the lights off makes it harder to seek and destroy the young.

My Mollies are just heavy plants on the top and bottom most if not all make it.
the adults feed out of the middle water were it's clear.
Also breeding snails in with the mollies for the GSP's

divemaster99
How long can a female go in a breeder net before she starts to get unhealthy?
I don't think keeping her in a breeder net will hurt her. but keep on it or she will eat them.
I'm pretty lazy I keep them all together and just pull out what I need to use for food.
Or in the case of my guppies and GSP's I pull out a few and toss them in with the Mollies to get bigger then put them back in with the GSP's when they are to big to eat.

divemaster99
she was laying towards the bottom, and makes were chasing her where the fry come out so I think she's going to drop within a day or so.
True.

Rich

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I used to breed guppies and even put them in the breeding "cage" but after the 2-3 births they learn not to eat the fry so you really dont need any shelter for them but it always doesnt hurt. But when they will give birth is really hard to say.

Edit: I see theres a cory cat if im not mistaken and he'll eat all the fry lol

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I used to breed guppies and even put them in the breeding "cage" but after the 2-3 births they learn not to eat the fry so you really dont need any shelter for them but it always doesnt hurt. But when they will give birth is really hard to say.

Edit: I see theres a cory cat if im not mistaken and he'll eat all the fry lol
5 Corys actually :). As long as the fry stay towards the top I'm not worried about them to much.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I actually had to put the female back in the main 15G since I found out my only breeder net has a hole in it after the guppy got into the main fry tank.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I would just leave them in the tank and check on them and whenever you see fry, seperate them. Even if they do eat some they will spawn again. Female guppies can hold sperm for up to a year so even if there was no male in the tank you would still be getting fry.
Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store