Arowana community questions

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
So I am considering putting a silver arowana in a 700g tank I am building, with a fire eel, giraffe catfish, and some large cichlids. But I am curious about two things. First what is a common size for most arowanas to max out at? I know their max size on paper, but I am curious what size most typically end up topping out at. My second question is at around full size, how big of fish can they eat? 6 inch fish, 12 inch fish?
Thanks!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Silvers grow pretty quick like 1 inch per month maybe faster if fed pellets. They are very passive and usually max at about 3 foot but I'm sure if your tank is wide enough and long enough the 4 foot mark can be achieved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
The sticky (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?478041-Arowana-amp-Arapaima-Species-Profiles) lists the average adult size for a black at 30" and between 30" and 36" for a Silver.

As they age, their growth in regards to their length slows and they tend to grow taller and thicker. I've seen a Silver Aro at a Public aquarium that was easily 10" tall. Mine grew to about 17" in a little over a year (I would say about 1" per month is pretty normal growth).

In regards to tankmates, I would follow the "if it can fit in their mouth, you're taking a risk" rule of thumb. I had a Silver that started trying to take out my clown loaches, whereas a member on here had huge aros (30") that never bothered his shoal of CLs.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
So black Arowanas top out about 30", sometimes smaller? I think they are prettier, and I'd prefer one that stays smaller, even though the tank will be 48" wide. Is there a difference in personality? or hardiness?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store