Gar spawning in pond

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I also have a pond that ONLY has longnose gar in it. They have spawned every year like clockwork. I read the other thread about the gar spawn in the ponds. Here's the deal. His longnose gar have already spawned. Yes,you read that right. All of his pictures with the exception of a couple are pictures of baby longnose gar. The picture of the gar in the thread (#43 I think,it had a bottom jaw that 1/2 was missing) is one of a couple that are spotted gar. I have seen and caught thousands of baby longnose over the years from 1/2" to 6" long when I catch them with an aquarium net. I Promise. Here's the second part of MY problem. Every year I see the gar in the Tennessee River spawning in coves off the main river channel. The fish I see are 100% without a doubt SPOTTED GAR. Males (about 18"-30" long and usually 2 or 3 to 6 or 8, on average) are chasing the female (they are generally larger,about 24"+ to 36"-40" long) around in the weedy shallow water along the bank. This is usually late April to early May. When I start to catch the baby gar it usually about May 15th. They are about 1" to 3" long by then. Here is the problem. I catch 100 to 400 every year. NOT ONE when I grow them up in an aquarium EVER is a spotted gar. NONE!!! All longnose gar, every last one . I have seen the parents closely, three feet away. Every year for 20+ years. I have never seen ANY longnose gar spawing,EVER! OK, now ,so knowing this when do the longnose gar spawn? At night? That's the only time from dawn to dusk that I haven't been there to observe at one time or another. Ok,also, I see ONLY spotted gar spawning. What happens to the fry? I have NEVER caught one in 20+ years of collecting. Where do they go? It is not misidentified fish when they are young because they look identical every year and I have grown dozens up to 12"+ in my aquariums. Their nose/Bill gets longer like pinocchio as they grow. Every single gar,every single year! I am a pretty smart guy,but this has me completely stumped and has for twenty years. What's the deal in y'all's opinion? Let's figure this out together. Take everything thing I have said as the absolute truth,because it is. Where do the baby spotted gar go?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
In my pond every small gar has to to a spotted. I didn't add the longnose until later in the summer after I found the babies. I am curious to see how they grow up though. Maybe they don't get as thick in aquaria and appear to be LNG?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I have ruled out all of the possibilities. I have even counted the rays on the fins and counted teeth. The nose is way to long to be spotted gar. Besides that they are patternless for the most part. My baby longnose that is. I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on the lack of baby spotted gar in the coves I catch the other baby longnose gar in. I have been trying to figure this out for 20+ years.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Here's a though. Years ago in lake simcoe musky were abundant. Then pike began to take over as they would spawn first and eat all the baby muskies. Over a few years no more muskies were found in simcoe. Maybe the longnose spawn first, then wait for the newly hatched spotted fry as a first feed. Proof of thought

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Maybe. The little ones are ravenous. Cannibalistic if no other food is around. Whiners and other minnows are abundant when I catch my babies. They spawn at the same time as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store