GSP and snails.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
SO how often should I feed my two GSP's snails.
I've been doing it once a week when I vac the tank I breed them in.
Anything sucked up gets tossed in with the GSP's about 5 to 10 every Sunday.

I also have them on hard sinking cichlid pellets that they have to chew. Does that help to?

Thanks
Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
They will naturally eat snails and that's a fair part of their diet so feeding them snails will never hurt. I say feed them whenever you feel is neccessary. I always prefer floating pellets but that's just me

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
For my figure 8 puffers I feed them snails once a week. [One or two for each] Other than that I feed them tilapia or brine shrimp once a day. I try to feed mine pellets but they don't eat them. When I will not be able to feed them for 3 or more days I put live brine shrimp in the tank.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Thanks guys.
I'm lucky that her GSP's eat everything.
I'm breeding guppies in there with them and they eat some of those young when they can catch them.

Their diet is.
flake food.
tetra veggie algae disks ( mainly for the sail fin pleco in the tank)
blood worms
sinking pellets ( omega one)
tilapia ( diced for the turtles)
snails once a week when we do water changes on the mollie tank I breed ( I just pick them out of the bottom of the bucket and throw them in with the GSP's)
guppy fry if/when they can catch them.
They eat all above in the list and are doing great in 1.008 salinity 55g tank.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I would feed a majority of snails, if possible. I've heard GSPs, SA and F8 puffers have very quick growing teeth. Their teeth will become overgrown if they don't get enough crunchy stuff and then you'll have to perform dental surgery, or they'll starve to death from not being able to open their mouth wide enough. I feed my Mbu puffer 80% of his diet of closed mussels, injected with vitamins.

shailadrh

Feeder Fish
Oct 9, 2014
Northern Utah
I agree with Psylant. I have 2 GSPs that are starting getting pretty big. Snails are a huge part of their diet- multiple times a week. I have a 30 gal tank in the basement (though 5 or 10 gal would work too) for breeding snails exclusively. I try to have about 100-200 + on hand at a time to keep up. Mine will not touch pellets unfortunately. They eat bloodworms, snails, occasionally brine shrimp, but enjoy the hunt or larger things- then get a big treat once a week like a few ghost shrimp, a live crab, frozen crayfish, a feeder guppy, etc. their hands down favorite is live crab. Amazing team work taking it down. Eyes first, then get the big claw, then flip it over and take turns devouring it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store