Eel hanging out in front of powerhead

Fullysick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Australia
Hey MFKers,

I recently bought a Snowflake Eel after cycling my tank fora coupla months (with a Damsel helping out the last 2 weeks of cycle). Hes beendoin pretty well the past week, he jumped out the first night but we got himback in before he dried out and seems to be doing fine. Hasn’t really eaten yetbut that’s to be expected. All levels look pretty good, I haven’t testedNitrate but Im picking up the test kit tonight.
Theres just one curious thing he does…he pokes his head outof his little hiding hole and puts it infront of the powerhead and basicallylets the breeze flow into him, he does this quite a bit. It’s pretty funny towatch and he seems to enjoy himself…Im just wondering if this is a sign orsomething? Does it mean the waters too hot or somethings not right in there? I’veheard some fish do it to try to get ich out of their gills but he seems to befairly healthy.
Thanks in advance

Fullysick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Australia
So just did an ammonia and Nitrate test. Ammonia seemed fine, was basically 0 (maybe a slight green tinge...but hardly noticeable.)

Nitrate on the other hand was not good. According to the chart it was around 30 Id say (Ive seen 20as being touted as an acceptable level, with 10ish being optimal). Theres alsosome brown looking stuff starting to grow on some of the sand and the glass.

Im guessing a water change is the solution to remove thenitrates? What % water change should I do? Is there anything else? I think Imgonna stop feeding the damsel as he never really took the pellets anyway. Alsothe eel did slime a lot when I put him in after his adventure outside the tank,which probably contributed to a lot of gunk.

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
I stick to 25% water changes on my reef. Are you using a RODI water filter for your water change water? If you aren't, have you tested the nitrate level of your tap water? My tap water runs about 40ppm Nitrate.
As far as your snowflake sticking his head out with his mouth open, mine does it too. It's their way of 'smelling' the water. What are you trying to feed it? I feed mine frozen krill and scallops.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
+1 on 20% or so water changes. The brown stuff is the first in a likely long line of blooms you will experience in a new marine tank. Keep up with the water changes and you will be fine there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store