Oxygen concern

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'm going to be setting up a 75 and only filling it half way. I have an extra 305 that I'll be using as the filter but I don't want to create a giant water fall because it'll be too loud. So I'm thinking of finding a big piece of drift wood and having the out flow of water run down it. Do think this will will create enough O2 exchange in the water? I really don't want to add an air pump.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Doesn't take much surface aggitation for gas exchange, but this also depends on your stocking level. Fish should let you know if there is inefficient O2 via heavy breathing or heavy breathing by water surface

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

It really depends on your fish and setup.

You could have the return below the surface of the water. That's sufficient for planted tanks and for mid-low-oxygen fish like gouramis. Or add an air stone. Tetra Wisper pumps are amazingly quiet.

HarleyK

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The tank will only be half full though. The return will be like 8" above the surface. I want to avoid too much splashing but placing a large piece of wood in front of the return and having it just run down the wood into the water.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Doesn't take much surface aggitation for gas exchange, but this also depends on your stocking level. Fish should let you know if there is inefficient O2 via heavy breathing or heavy breathing by water surface
Guess I'll find out when I set it up. I just don't want to set it up and the set up not provide enough O2 then I have to drop and air stone in there. It won't be heavily stocked at all.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
If the water is flowing into the tank I'm sure that would be plenty if O2 exchange into the water

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
Never had issues with O2 exchange except when dealing with spiney eels, hillstream loaches, ect. and other fish that tend to need higher levels in general anyways

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Adding a circulation pump or 2 a few inches below water surface pointed upwards at and angle may help if you want to avoid bubbles and pump up the oxygen exchange with your new return setup.

I add them to all my tanks that don't have bubblers; really like the way they make light reflections throughout the tank with the constantly disturbed surface.

...To answer your original question though, it'll definitely depend on stocking as to whether or not you'll actually have to add one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store