hey guys! this is my midas update from 1" long :)

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
hello mfk members, this is my midas fish.. i bought it on the 21st Dec 2013 at about 1" .. now they are about 4-5"long :)
midasfadingprocess.jpg
there were 4fries but now they are two left.. two died :(
the two survive both faded to white :D and the weird thing is the midas in the pic seems to be fading to black again as i saw some dark patches starting to appear on the edges on its fins.. is this normal guys? and yeah, what do u guys think bout my midas ? :)

midasfadingprocess.jpg

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
it's called fading and peeling and they can continue to do it through out their lifetime
another cool thing about Midas and red devils is their constant metamorphosis
really nice fish you got their reminds me of my midevil Ottmanott he just got a blue fringe on all his fins that changed from red a week ago

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
yeaah, when will they prbbly show out their hump? and is he going to fade again? yeaahh.. midas are just cool :D
been thinking since then tht i could prbbly my midas with a flowerhorn :) i have loads of midas in my pond but this guy is the most special of em all.. :)
btw, i would like to see ure midas.. :)

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
ottmanott.jpgBLUEoTT.jpgPiOTT.jpg
This is my Ottmanott. (He's also my profile pic) I rescued him from a PSP where he was in a 10 gallon with half a dozen larger green terrors, some oscars and another half dead midevil. When I first got him he had markings that spelled "WAR" on his side that faded in a week to what looks like the "Pi" symbol (which he still sort of has) The fringe on his fins has changed from white to yellow to red and to blue. His body color has changed from white to red, to orange and now back to white. I'll try to get some newer ones (he's growing a hump)

ottmanott.jpg

BLUEoTT.jpg

PiOTT.jpg

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
what is an ottmanott? o.o nice man.. he's growing a hump already? what's his size now? do u feed any special food for the hump growth?

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Ottmanott was the name of the talking GPS in the movie "Horrible Bosses" I saw that movie for the first time the night I bought him.
he's about 2.5"-3" right now. I feed him Hikari Cichlid Gold floating pellets (for reds), Omega One Blood worms, tubifex, and cichlid flakes, Wardley sinking pellets, a special mix I get from Betty's Rare Tropical fish (for blues ) daphnia I grow in buckets, and mosquito larvae that grow in there with them. KOK growth food is expensive and unnecessary for Midas in my opinion. It's mostly genetics. Luckily Midas got the right genes for that:) I've heard putting a mirror near your tank can get them pumped up and dominant. I think chasing the daphnia/mosquito larvae around probably contributes to it as well. Sometimes if you have a bunch together the dominant male will get a large hump and the others will end up with less.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Ottmanott was the name of the talking GPS in the movie "Horrible Bosses" I saw that movie for the first time the night I bought him.
he's about 2.5"-3" right now. I feed him Hikari Cichlid Gold floating pellets (for reds), Omega One Blood worms, tubifex, and cichlid flakes, Wardley sinking pellets, a special mix I get from Betty's Rare Tropical fish (for blues ) daphnia I grow in buckets, and mosquito larvae that grow in there with them. KOK growth food is expensive and unnecessary for Midas in my opinion. It's mostly genetics. Luckily Midas got the right genes for that:) I've heard putting a mirror near your tank can get them pumped up and dominant. I think chasing the daphnia/mosquito larvae around probably contributes to it as well. Sometimes if you have a bunch together the dominant male will get a large hump and the others will end up with less.
ouuhhh nice man.. :)
woow.. mine is already about almost 4" long and still has no hump .. and that is a lot of special food u feed him :) and yeah, i would prbbly put a mirror inside.. i only feed my midas, cichlid pellets, earthworms and sometimes ghost shrimp..
can i see ure midas? i would like to see his kok :)

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
ouuhhh... wow, mine has it also.. but i didnt think it was a hump haha i put them in my pond already.. let them grow there and prbbly make some fries out of them.. but yeah, ive seen tht he is almost fully faded to white though.. :) have some bigger ones in my bigger pond.. have 5 of them prbbly.. got it all for about $7 or so from a old lady for about 4" haha

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hybrid cosses (midas x RD) do not always grow a large nuchal hump. While A. labiatus males can grow somewhat of a nuchal hump, the largest humps are generally only seen in A. citrinellus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store