Ick in tank with Motoro

sstoll10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
NJ
I was out of town for a few days and came home to 3 dead fish in my tank. Its a temporary home for my fish while I Am getting a new bigger tank. I have a 155 gallon tank with a small motoro in there with a red severum and some other small fish. I came home and 3 small fish were dead and the severum has ick spots real bad. I do weekly water changes of 30% minimum and the water parameters when I checked it last night were all good. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to fix my issue?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I dont know much about rays or if they can even get ich, but I know they are senstive from what I've read. I would, if you have the space, move the ray for a few days, and treat the water with either high heat and salt or Para Guard if you'd rather do the med route. I would assume being scaleless that the rays are just as sensitive as catfish or puffers when it comes to ich treatment.

sstoll10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
NJ
Ok, I can give that a shot, but some of the other fish in there are catfish. Does that change the medication I should use?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
not so much change it, but the dosing will be alot less. When I treat scaleless fish for ich I always HALF the dose of any med I use. I have had good luck with Para Guard which is essentially malachite green and a host of other like medications. I read a few ray posts just now and it seems people have used ich treatments on them, just cut the dosage way down.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Read through the stickies at the top of the stingray forum section, theres a ton of good treatment info from some experienced ray keepers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store