Mixing channas?

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hello there,

I figured I'd repost this, as where it was posted is perhaps not the best place... So here it is!

Hello fellow Channa keepers,

I have started holding fishes a few years ago (Piranhas, cichlids, channas, polys), and whenever I find a new kind of channa that can be kept in a tank that I have the room for, I end up with a new tank...

I can't help it, channas are probably the most amazing fishes ever seen, and seeing them dance in front of the window, have their belly grow after a good snack, chase eachother to, in the end, drop all aggressiveness once their playmate caught, just amazes me the more I see them.

I actually have a tank with bleheris (with my luck, I have no mated pairs out of the 6 I bought so it's still 6 of them dancing all day long), a 700L tank with cichlids, and a newly created (still lacking floating plants, but everything else is in there) tank with four asiaticas, hoping to create a pair before removing the other two. (Without mentioning the few baby tanks here and there, and believe me, my housemate isn't always happy about those tanks... :p)

After acquiring these sub-juvenile Asiaticas, I realized nothing can beat channas, not even a wonderfully well setup Cichlid tank with enough colors to make you dizzy...

So I came to wonder, not that I'm particularily fond of doing a wholesale of my cichlids, and redoing my whole tank, if there was any specie/mix of species that would actually live in a 700L (about 185g if google is correct not that many americans actually get to hold channas :( ) without limiting the population to two of them.

I am not talking about a community tank, I am thinking of a channa exclusive tank, but with perhaps smaller species of channas, that actually get together, or a single specie, that actually allows for more than a paired couple...

Ideally, nothing as small as bleheris (not that there is any) but not quite monsters like Micropeltes either!

Any idea of a mix that would be compatible (and in all fairness, I would not consider any mix that wouldn't make all of them happy in the conditions it is put in) or of a kind that would live as a shoal/family without a risk of them eating eachother (And while risk zero doesn't exist in the hobby, pretty damn close to zero is what i'm after, losing one poly to choking on a smaller fish taught me to stay the f away from community tank mixing with monsters...)

if I am not clear, let me know, I tend to get excited about ideas, and gather informations the second I have them, so i'm all over the place!

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
No, channa are NOT compatible with other species of channa. In most cases they arnt compatible with members of their own species lol. Bleheri are one of the few that doesnt seen as agressive if given enough space, but even then i suspect if a pair forms that may change.

Hope that helps!

scharoel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2013
Subang, Malaysia
Agree with DC, no fight if they'd been given enough room for their own species only. Not with others channas. And perhaps this situation may change when a pair form.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
If you like channas, try the pleurophtalma.They reach aprox. 40cms and live in groups.
Ibelieve you could have a nice group of 5 in that 700lts. tank.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Nodnods, that answers my question to the best.

I was pretty sure no channas were compatible but the alternative was as important to me, and Joao answered that quite nicely!

As for Pleuros, they don't really "look" like most channas, do they behave as them, though?

If they do, that could be a very nice thought to put on the matter... Granted I can find a buyer for all my cichlids and find a place that sells the pleuros :O

The tank will need a complete makeover too! ;) (Sand bottom, lots of rocks, few plants :/)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store