Capturing live fish unharmed...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I am preparing an article on bullhead catfish that are native to me. I am (hopefully) going to be capturing and examining many specimens of three different species that are either native to me or within a short drive. I would like to be able to capture these fish to photograph, examine and release unharmed. Well, no worse for the wear anyway. I'm not opposed to dragging a few out with a hook and line, but that would not be the preferred way to go about catching them IMO.

My first choice would be a minnow trap, but when targeting 1-2 pound bullheads, that probably wouldn't work. In the muddy, stump strewn ponds and backwaters I'm going to be searching for my subjects, a castnet doesn't seem like the best idea, either. Hook and line would work, but it is terribly inefficient time wise and I have a full time job, kid, wife and college to worry about. I would prefer to have a more expedient manner in which to capture my specimens.

If you all could be so kind, I'd love to hear some ideas how I might go about capturing these fish. :)

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Barbless hooks if you have to go the hook and line option

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I don't know the english name (embarassing :D ) but you know these nets that you can put in the creek, along the complete width? I'd put one of those in there, grab a buddy and drive the fish into it from upstream using big nets and lifting rocks. Has worked for me when helping friends.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
I don't know the english name (embarassing :D ) but you know these nets that you can put in the creek, along the complete width? I'd put one of those in there, grab a buddy and drive the fish into it from upstream using big nets and lifting rocks. Has worked for me when helping friends.
Seine net?

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Seine net?

Sent from my SCH-R830C
That's it.

That would be a good option actually. Not sure where I'd get one though, I don't have a lot of cash to drop in this project.

The only problem I can see is that most of the fish are in muddy ponds. God this is vexing me lol.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Netting is illegal in many fresh bodies of water and could get you hit with a poaching charge. I think rod and reel is the best option. Use barbless hooks, and use hooks that are slightly larger than you would normally use for fish that size to prevent them from being swallowed.

Chum up the area and then use bread or fish chunks as bait. Once they're in feeding mode, it's one after another with bullheads.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Try a seine net. We used those in a river management course and worked well. My favorite though is a dip net. Bait it with frozen then thawed minnows and bullheads pour in. I pull up 3-6 every time with a 60" x60" net

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store