Pool filter sand or play sand??

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm putting a substrate in my 180 after months of bare bottom. All my other tanks have a substrate except for my 180 and they tend to stay much much clearer while my 180 stays foggy I'm thinking it's because lots of Benicia bacteria lives in the sand. Question is should I use play sand bought from Walmart or pool filter sand. I have an fx6 filter on my 180 so keep that in mind. I also want to stick with sand, no gravel. What's the difference what's easier to clean and what dosent stir up as much. I have play sand in one of my tanks but have never tried pool filter sand. Pros cons? Or are they the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Torpedo beach. ☺

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
What da ya mean??? Is that a actual beach or a type of sand? Btw I'm probably going to get it tonight closest option and easiest to get for me is play sand. I'm just not sure if I'm missing out on something good with pool filter sand.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I have no experience with play sand but pfs is meant to be heavier, harder to stir up, and much cleaner. Cleaning was a breeze, basically a once over to get what little dust was in there out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I like/prefer pfs over playsand.the plays and is usually kinda light colored.I like the darker shade, seems more natural.I also throw a few handfuls of brown, black gravel on top of any sand I use

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Cool I'm going with pfs then because play sand takes forever to clean and stirs up really fast. Just didn't know if play sand had a difference to pool filter sand but thanks for the help now I just have to get the pfs. I don't know of any pool stores near by though. Where can I get it otherwise ..and also does pfs have alternative names in hardware stores or something? Just so I know what to check for, and are there any types of pfs I should avoid like added chemicals etc.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I've seen it called pool filter sand exclusively. Some hardware stores carry, and you can have it ordered to your local ace hardware at no charge. Most of the major hardware stores will have it listed online if your willing to deal with the websites. Pool store is your best bet though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have tried both, because play sand is fine it is easily stirred up, getting into filters and pumps, and can ruin impellers. Below is an impeller scored, and ruined by grains of play sand, before I started using PFS.
Play sand is cheaper at first, but much costlier in the end.

Pool filter sand is heavier, heavy enough to sink after being back washed, so less chance to get in and ruin filters. When vacuumed PF sand will drop down the tube, as opposed being sucked up.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Thanks guys you saved me an fx6!! Any brand names for pfs recommended or are they all kinda generic.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't know about whats available in CA, but I get my sand from an abrasives company that supplies sand to water filtration plants, usually a 50lb bag of sand for about $5.

Reactions: MRE
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store