50 gallons per person, per day San Diego Water rationing?

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I was just reading this article about the 50 gallons a day per person and a 500 dollar fine for each violation.

http://www.naturalnews.com/047061_water_rationing_California_drought.html

I rent a big house by the beach by myself. My landlord has been paying my water bill for many years without a worry. I read now that we are on Tiers 1-4 just like electric usage. I always hit that Tier 4.
Does anybody have any detail on this new law? I don't let any water run down the street during my water changes anymore.

My water changes are consistent each week and I stopped doing it all on the same day so each day I do a different tank...720,300,240,150,135,100

Any advice would also be greatly appreciated from the legends...

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
That seems like a bummer. My initial thoughts would be cut down on the need for water changes. Stuff like pothos to reduce nitrates, glass tops for all tanks to cut down evaporation and avoiding airflow on the tanks like fans and such. That said I'm not sure that would solve the problem. I'm also not sure how you could monitor the amount of water you are using, but I would try pump as much water as I could each day into a drum or something. You might have to start bathing in your tank water :confused:. Anyways best of luck man, that seems really difficult to work around.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Hmmm. Im in SD too, with 4 other adults, I do water changes for the two 100g going. Normally I would sacrifice a shower or two a week to justify water for the tanks. Not sure how I will do if this law is enforced. Already everyone uses tons of water and we don't use it outside of the house

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Dang, I used 7000 gallons last month with 3 in the house. We don't water the lawn either. I would have a pretty tough time getting my wife to stop flushing and taking showers so I can clean tanks.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Geeze there are 6 people in our house and 8 tanks from 160 G down.

Our water bill was 357.00 last month.
Size of Meter Per Month
5/8" $15.00
The following rates shall apply per 100 gallons:
Gallons Per Month Residential Commercial
First 16,000/Month 1.0214 0.9911

All In Excess of 16,000/Month 1.0214 0.7597

Notice it's gets cheaper the more we use here.

taken from our water company web site.

http://www.amwater.com/paaw/customer-service/rates-information.html

Gives you a idea of how much water we use in a month.

I'm not sure how I would handle 50 G a day. Rain water for the tanks maybe since we get a good amount of that here in Pa.

Hope all you guys with tanks figure something out to make it work.

Rich

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Rain water won't work besides that it will all be acid rain. That's why we are limited to water in so cal. We r in a bad bad drought. But where I live hasent been regulated yet so maybe it's just affecting major city's like San Diego etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
This is like brand brand new, I have no idea if it's enforced in SD, my neighbors have a bunch of tanks too. This could suck.
Edit: as of Tuesday Sept. 30, this rule is not on the San Diego.gov site

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
This is like brand brand new, I have no idea if it's enforced in SD, my neighbors have a bunch of tanks too. This could suck.
Edit: as of Tuesday Sept. 30, this rule is not on the San Diego.gov site
Maybe it was just an idea being tossed around possibly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store