Advice about setting up my 500 gallon acrylic aquarium

TabmanRN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2014
Aurora,Illinois
This is my first post. Should I put another 3/4" sheet of plywood on top just to be sure there is enough strength? How should I make certain the top is smooth enough ? Should I use wood filler to make certain the top is smooth. What do I put between the tank and the stand? I made two stands for my 600 and 400 gallon acrylic aquariums. what about 1/4" Styrofoam.What is the reason for putting something between the tank and the wood stand? I welcome any advice you have.

20130513_111055 (5).jpg

cl-1836909461.jpg

stand.jpg

tank.jpg

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Welcome to MFK!!!
The reason some people put Styrofoam between the wood stand and the tank is to smooth out any improfections in the wood. It's just a theory but the Styrofoam most likely selflevels distributing the weight evenly across the whole sheet of plywood. That way no stress points are created if the plywood is slightly thicker in one area than another. I do it, but like I said it's mostly theory. I havnt seen any hard data to support with or with out being better.
Also you will be fine with the 3/4" ply for support under your acrylic 500.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
That is a solid looking stand, no need to add my plywood to the top. The strength comes from the supports, not so much the top. The plywood is just there to support the acrylic fully.

I agree with what Egon had to say, it is usually recommended to use foam under rimless tanks and forgo it when setting up a rimmed tank. That says, some manufacturers have different requirements for their tanks, so it isn't always consistent. With acrylic, when in doubt I would add it.

Good looking tank, cant wait to see it set up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store