How to rehome a bigger fish..

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Planning to rehome a fish of 18inches how would I go about doing it? What's the best method? Any advice will be very appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
if you are rying to find a new owner for it then post a FS thread in the market place.

if you are wanting to know how to move 18" fish to a new tank we will have to know what kind fish it is.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I would drain as much water as possible and take out any decor. Use a large plastic bag to corral him, preferably a bag meant to hold fish. I have a 30 gallon sterilite storage box I use to transport big fish, you might need a bigger one than that though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you buy a bigger tank, move the fish, filter, heater, and decorations from the smaller to the larger.

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
I would drain as much water as possible and take out any decor. Use a large plastic bag to corral him, preferably a bag meant to hold fish. I have a 30 gallon sterilite storage box I use to transport big fish, you might need a bigger one than that though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thx. So where would/could I purchase a fish bag. Is it something like a net but without the handle and frame. I have a Styrofoam box that can do the transporting. I'm honestly trying to avoid using a standard fish net as much as possible.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Take all decorations and heaters out of the tank as well. Most fish stores will give you a fish bag, its just a large plastic bag but a garbage bag will work as well. I used pillow cases and they did the trick. What type of fish?

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Cool, thx. It's an armatus. A very sensitive fish. Needs constant flowing water so I'm a bit nervous.

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
Use a plastic tote... What i did to move rays,gar, and big cats when we had to shut down the pool... Float the tote in the tank careful not to spook the fish tip it in and fill.. Then gentally guide the fish in and put the lid on, then with the lid on but not secure tip it and drain a few inches ect then fasten the lid before pulling the tote and fish out, may take two people.. Key is to not stress the fish into freaking out and simply take your time. A sturdy non transparent tote is key. Worth the $15

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store