blackwater setup/maintenance

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

So...I've been searching around the forums for general blackwater tank information, and I seem to keep coming up short.

Does anyone here who has a black water tank have any advice? set up or maintenance tips are appreciated!

I was also wondering what types of fish would be alright in a black water environment? I was thinking of converting one of my tanks and I was hoping all the species I have would be alright in black water. I have a red fin pickerel, bullhead, and a tank with sunfish and darters. They are all natives so I wasn't sure if this was something they would be alright living in.
If nothign else I'm setting up a bichir tank soon and I have seen multiple people keep them in blackwater environments so if I have to I will wait until that tank is ready

Thanks!!!!!!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I think Amazonian fish are blackwater fish no?
I'm trackin' on that, but I was thinking more along the lines of native driftwood and some type of leaf litter simulating a lake or pond habitat. I guess they aren't truely "black water" but the tannins and other chemicals that are present in lakes and rivers still give it that darker look, I just wasn't sure if it was possible to recreate this with north american fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd never keep darters in black water. Most should be kept 7.0 or higher and some can go up to 9.0. If you're looking for natives that do good in black water I'd recommend any Enneacanthus Sunfish which do good in a 5.5-6.5 range.

Justin Martin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
amazon river and its sister rivers all have very acidic/black waters. i am raising peacock bass in blackwater right now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store