UHHGGGG!!!!!! New Gar didn't make it.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Well the place I bought Garfield from FINALLY got me another one on order.
Went to pick it up the next day and he tells me it jumped out of the tank. UHHHHGGGGG! THAT JUST SUX!

Only bright lining to this story was I didn't pay for it. So I'm not out any money yet.

And now for the questions.
The tank it jumped from was the tank Garfield was in when I bought him.
This tank still has the gold clown knife in it (about 10 -12 inches). The shop owner suspects the GCK spooked him causing him to bail out of the tank.
I kinda think so also as knife fish breach rather fast and Gar are a docile fish unless spooked.
And I've read stories on this site and others about knife fish spooking Gars.

Right now I don't have a cover on my tank. but I also don't have anything in the tank that isn't either real peaceful of food. ( well it's all food I guess)

A shoal of minnows/mollies For some reason it gets smaller by the numbers every week!
one 5 inch Comet GF
one 5 inch sens bichir
four 4 inch Assie rainbows
one 4 inch whiptail catfish

I keep wanting to get that GCK but after he spooked my other pre order Gar, I'm even more apprehensive then ever, since I don't have a lid on the tank at the moment.

My wish list for final tank stock is:

Larger breed knife fish. I like the one at the shop he's decent size and is already stable as in has lived at the shop for a while now. + he's been there long enough that he's down from 33.00 USD to 25 USD.
Sterlet sturgeon but I'm not able to find one anywhere in the USA for sale. ( I'm on e-mail notifications for months now)
and another Fla. Gar
For a total of 4 larger fish tops, but I would be happy with three large fish Gar,GCK,Sterlet.

So Think I should lid the tank this weekend and get the GCK? Or just skip him?
I'm really attached to Garfield and don't want to do anything to stress him or worse.

Rich

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
I would not put something as aggressive or thats going to get so big with florida gar. I kept reticulated rays, spineys eels, bichir, and other fish over the years with. Mine and really had no major issues... Never kept other mid/top dwellers with them long term. Just never worked out. Gar also are not fond of silvery fish and a gck might fall into that catagory for them. The one ck i tried with my longnose around 8-10" started attacking and spooking my gar... Active at night = really bad imo with gar.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
When I had a silver aro with my gars it was rough. The aro would crush the food and the gars never got a chance to eat and when they did go up to the surface they would spook and crash into the glass. That's why I sold my arowana

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store