Need help introducing my female Red Devil to my Flowerhorn

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
I need help introducing my 8 inch male Flowerhorn to 5 inch Red Devil. I tried and he started chasing her around so I separated them. Is this normal behavior?

I would like to try again tonight and give them a longer go, this time around. At what point should I separate them. My flower horn is my prize, I just got the RD last week.

Or I was thinking about keep them partitioned until I see eggs and them maybe separate them at that time? What should I do?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not a good ideal? just not a mix i see working.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Unless they've been raised together it's gonna be very difficult to get them to tolerate one another. If you wanna try and breed them you're gonna need a divider

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
what size is ure tank man? if ure not confident, just would let them be separated... 8" and 5" is quiet apart for them to be together and even more risky if u want to mix it with one bull fh haha and plus, as they say, can prbbly be a breeding pair.. :) good luck :) btw, show us some pics.. we would be glad to see the both of them :)

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
what size is ure tank man? if ure not confident, just would let them be separated... 8" and 5" is quiet apart for them to be together and even more risky if u want to mix it with one bull fh haha and plus, as they say, can prbbly be a breeding pair.. :) good luck :) btw, show us some pics.. we would be glad to see the both of them :)
The tank is a 75 Gallon. He's probably 7" btw. I always tell people 8 when I'm bragging about him, but hes probably 6 3/4 or 7. I cut a hole in the partition only big enough for the female to go through and she hangs out by the hole. She goes half way through at the most, but when he comes toward her she goes back to her side. I placed a clay pot on his side. Not an actual pot but the flat plate shaped piece that go under the clay flower pots to catch the water. His male part is sticking out and his red is a little more intense than usual. I'll post a pick today after I finish cleaning up the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store