I need some help with a breeding question about Jack Dempseys..

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I am trying to get some Jack Dempseys and EBJD to breed with each other, I got them to spawn 1 time about 6 weeks ago but they ate all the fry that time..
I want to explain everything very well so everyone will understand my problem... At the time of the spawn I had 3 fish in the tank 2 female EBJD and 1 man regular Jack Dempsey,After the first spawn I knew witch ones was the breeders so I took the other female out of the tank. I thought she may have been the reason why they ate the fry...

Now the problem is every since I took the other fish out 6 weeks ago they have not spawned again, and actually don't seem to even like each other any more... They are in a 125 gal. tank and most the time they sit at different ends of the tank and sometimes chase each other around the tank.. I'm really wondering if I may have taken the wrong fish out by mistake, After mating they go back to their regular colors so they look the same... I just took the one out that was down at the other end of the tank by itself, the other 2 was down at the end where the fry was (fry was already gone)...

So I guess my question would be should I try to put the other fish back in the tank with them to see if they will spawn again or even to see if I did take the wrong fish out??? I was just worried that she may have ate the fry or freaked the parents out so much they ate the fry and that is why I took her out in the first place....

So come on experts hit me with it what would you do?? Any and all comments and advice are welcome!!! Thanks for the help!!!

Tojo09

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Bay Area CA
First off JD normally eat the fry the first couple times in my experience. They have to learn to be good parents. Second you should try putting the female back in to see how it works. Just be careful in case something happens.

Also I have had JDs spawn once, eat the eggs then the male never have interest in the female again. Also had it take months before they would spawn again. I try tricks like letting the tank get dirty then a large water change, or fattining up the female with protein like frozen shrimp.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
First off JD normally eat the fry the first couple times in my experience. They have to learn to be good parents. Second you should try putting the female back in to see how it works. Just be careful in case something happens.

Also I have had JDs spawn once, eat the eggs then the male never have interest in the female again. Also had it take months before they would spawn again. I try tricks like letting the tank get dirty then a large water change, or fattining up the female with protein like frozen shrimp.

Ok thanks for the help.. But I have already tried all the trick and it has not helped, I skipped a WC and then did about a 70% WC, I moved stuff around in the tanks (not by where they hide and spawned) I turned one of the lights off at that end...

I just don't know if putting her back in will help or hurt the situation.... Does anyone else have a thought on this?

Tojo09

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Bay Area CA
You cannot know until you try. Every situation with be different. And results are seldomly instant

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Yeah I put her back in yesterday and I don't think it helped at all, She is hiding up in the corner behind the filter tube because they both chase her around all day!!!
I don't believe I took the wrong fish out now.... The 2 that was in there hang tight together now that I put the other one back in there and they both chase the new one around all day... I'm just hoping it will make them like each other again now that she is back in there and they don't kill her from stressing her out so bad!!!

I will let you know how it works out with them... And thank you for the reply!!!!!

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Well it has been about 10 days now since I put the other female back in the tank and the first few days didn't go to good for the new fish, The pair that was already in there did not want her back.. LOL.. It was not bad to where I thought they might hurt her they just followed her everywhere and if she ran they would chase her....

Thing's have settled down a lot now and they just mess with her every now and then but nothing like it was the first few days.. The original pair that was in there are still hanging tight together but no sign of spawning yet!!! Hopefully once things settle down more that will change.

I do feel putting the other female back in there did make a big difference with the way the pair act with each other, they don't chase each other around and fight like they used to and they pretty much just hang out with each other all day...

Ok I just wanted to give a little update on how this was going for the few people who are interested... I will let you know if anything new happens...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store