Hystrix difficulties with feeding

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
A couple of months or so ago I brought four WC hystrix (2 pairs) from Aquaman, cracking little Rays all around 5-6" disc. All were fairly skinny from transport but were feeding well on dendrobena worms. I fed them twice a day on worms exclusively for several weeks fattening them up, Aquaman advised on how to marinade worms with pellets. In a nut shell I didn't get on well with the marinating (more like a lack of patience and perseverance). One male soon took carnivore pellets out of the blue and to this day is the only one which eats pellets (now eagerly eats massivore and as a result has grown rapidly in comparison). The massivore male also eats prawn, along with a keen female. The odd thing is I have another male ( refer to him as Male 2) who took to prawn early on and was always the greedier of the bunch with worms.

Confusing issues I have is that Male 2 has gone off prawn, mouths at them and chews but barely feeds, at all.
male 2 was always greedy but for weeks won't hardly touch prawn - never entertained pellet or cockle or mussel.
I have a second female who won't eat anything apart from worms, never touched anything else.

I stopped feeding/offering worms couple weeks or more ago, hoped that pure hunger would get this fussy pair feeding on what's on offer but alas :(

Water parMs are very good and constant as I do HMA WC every day practically

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mirek

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2014
Czech Republic
I would prefer to feed them with small fish, black or earth worms, shrimps ...
Why are u tryin' feed them with some pellets?
In the nature they dont know what pellets looks like..dont you think?
Give them the best food what you can offer as I mention..
that is my advice

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
The number one goal is to get them eating and get them fattened up before trying to switch them to new foods. Once fat and eating well, slowly mix in small amounts of the new food. As time goes on add more and more of the food that you want them to eat as a staple.

Trying to switch over pups or wild caught too soon will cause them to go on a hunger strike and die.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
The number one goal is to get them eating and get them fattened up before trying to switch them to new foods. Once fat and eating well, slowly mix in small amounts of the new food. As time goes on add more and more of the food that you want them to eat as a staple.

Trying to switch over pups or wild caught too soon will cause them to go on a hunger strike and die.

X2.
Maybe try smaller pieces of the food.
Great looking hystrix too!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
X3. As you said yourself you got impatient and that is always setting things up for disaster. My best advice is separate the ones eating similar food and work on them all more or less individually. If one eats pellets keep him on pellets of one eats shrimp feed him shrimp if others are not eating get them on anything to get then eating (even if it's worms) sometimes it takes a couple tries to get them eating other stuff.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store