Bichir tail problems??

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Question about a bichirs tail. My congicus tail is completely laid over ... My laps tail did it to for awhile but it is normal now idk if it's just something that happens or if it's a internal problem or what ... Any bichir experts got any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Do you have pics? Usually underfeed bichir or skinny bichir will show it's tail flat on the ground. When your lap was new it was probably underfeed as many lfs or newly shipped fish are usually being underfeed, especially wild caught. Just try and feed your congi more. Please do post pics if it's something else such as deformation.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Do you have pics? Usually underfeed bichir or skinny bichir will show it's tail flat on the ground. When your lap was new it was probably underfeed as many lfs or newly shipped fish are usually being underfeed, especially wild caught. Just try and feed your congi more. Please do post pics if it's something else such as deformation.
I'll get a pic when I get home from work and that's prob what it is cause when my lap did it she went over a month without eatin and my congi hasn't ate since I bought it a week ago do that's likely it

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
P.s I've only ever seen it in lower jaw polypterus my weeksii that I've had for 15 years went of his food 6months and never did this.interesting if anyone experienced it with any upper jaw types.may also be water quality issues

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
P.s I've only ever seen it in lower jaw polypterus my weeksii that I've had for 15 years went of his food 6months and never did this.interesting if anyone experienced it with any upper jaw types.may also be water quality issues

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I only seen it in my 2 ljs and u hit nail on head lol the congi looks like it's got a twisted spine it's so bad it's not the water I do water changes twice a week and test it twice a week it's always fine .... If he will ever eat ill feed him well lol

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
That congicous is definatly under weight which is causing that problem.what food are you offering it.i feed alot of sprats to pile the weight on, ive had poor results feeding any polypterus on pellets and the ones i recieced which came to me like that were fed solely pellets.my diet for my polypterus are mainly sprats but also lance fish, beef heart,worms,liver and sand eels.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
That congicous is definatly under weight which is causing that problem.what food are you offering it.i feed alot of sprats to pile the weight on, ive had poor results feeding any polypterus on pellets and the ones i recieced which came to me like that were fed solely pellets.my diet for my polypterus are mainly sprats but also lance fish, beef heart,worms,liver and sand eels.

I offer beef heart ..massivore ..tilapia.. And krill ... Tilapia is 5 days a week he ignores it all ... Iv only had it a week he may still be destressing idk

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Yeah probaly stress. the diet ur offering is good.id say just give it time.gr8 looking congi too.you will see him come good im sure.keep us updated when his straightened wish i had took some before and after pics of mine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store