Thoughts on Rita rita?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Pretty much what it says. There is surprisingly little available on these guys on the web. I have an interest in these guys for a way down the road dream combo. The only thing I've managed to figure out is that they're slow growing, so I'm working out from there.

Aggressive?

Hard to feed?

Active?

Diurnal/nocturnal?

Etc., etc., etc...

Obligate picture:

rita.jpg

rita.jpg

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Dont think thats a Rita, looks to be Ariidae, Rita have small eyes. :thumbsup:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Rob, that's an albino Colombian shark (a first for me though). Rita rita IDK more than you about.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Dont think thats a Rita, looks to be Ariidae, Rita have small eyes. :thumbsup:
Rob, that's an albino Colombian shark (a first for me though). Rita rita IDK more than you about.
You both are right. Thanks! I like the albino variant though.

I've got a Rita Rita. Slow grower with a huge appetite... somewhat aggressive and very active
Good stuff. How bad is it with other cats? Does it damage them or just run them off? I'm kind of wanting one of these guys, but I don't want one if it'll savage the other cats that I'm wanting; things that include but are not limited to a blue cat, a rutilus, some sort of Brachy to be determined later, P. fasciatus, etc. I'm wanting to avoid anything that is TOO mean.

:drool:

When the time comes, you're the first person I'm emailing. ;)

LiamIrons

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2012
Nottingham,Uk
You both are right. Thanks! I like the albino variant though.

Good stuff. How bad is it with other cats? Does it damage them or just run them off? I'm kind of wanting one of these guys, but I don't want one if it'll savage the other cats that I'm wanting; things that include but are not limited to a blue cat, a rutilus, some sort of Brachy to be determined later, P. fasciatus, etc. I'm wanting to avoid anything that is TOO mean.

:drool:

When the time comes, you're the first person I'm emailing. ;)
I've got mine with a Yarelli and a Brachyplatystoma. Not much fighting though it can be slightly territorial

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
they fight amongst their own kind. relatively peaceful towards other fish. they are territorial though, they like to stake out their own area and excavate sand and rocks. max size is about 18-20" My bigger one is about 14"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store