Six (6) Swamp Darters for $1

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
This is the deal I got today at my LFS. I was just going to buy some live blackworms. Then I thought about getting a few ghost shrimp and noticed there were darters in the tank. I got darters from them like this a couple years ago. At first the girl was hesitant to sell them and brought over the manager. I couldn't hear the conversation but I overheard the manager mention the word "native fish". Then he walks away and comes back with a book and starts looking through it. I walked up to him and mentioned that they were swamp darters. He decides to sell to me but did not know what to charge and said that since they came in with the feeders he will sell them no more than the listed price for the feeders. So I got all of them for $1. All are juvie size and wild caught. Maybe I will eventually get a spawn.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice deal! I got my two juvies from a shrimp tank a few weeks ago for 85C a piece. They're great fish and have awesome personalities.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Awesome. We went collecting for darter a month ago. Found a very cool male, but couldn't catch a female for him.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I've heard of people finding Sunfish and even a Bass once in awhile in feeder tanks. I don't expect to find those here though. When they go catch the ghost shrimp in Florida they are catching some of these darters too by accident. All I ever find are swamp darters. Once in awhile I'll find some killifish or another similar native fish in the feeders too. In fact there was a fish that looked like a native Killifish in the tank with the darters but I did not want it.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've heard of people finding Sunfish and even a Bass once in awhile in feeder tanks. I don't expect to find those here though. When they go catch the ghost shrimp in Florida they are catching some of these darters too by accident. All I ever find are swamp darters. Once in awhile I'll find some killifish or another similar native fish in the feeders too. In fact there was a fish that looked like a native Killifish in the tank with the darters but I did not want it.
Probably Bluefin Killies. I got my two from seperate stores' shrimp feeder tanks. They're great looking fish and can be bred fairly easily too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store