Tiled bottom?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So the idea came to me as I am in the process of cleaning out a 75 gallon tank that had a bearded dragon in it. The bottom of the reptile enclosure has some tile from Lowes and it got me thinking about tile instead of sand. I'm not sure what the type of tile I have is, so I won't be using it unless I can 100% identify the tile and it's not harmful to the fish.

So, years ago I took the route I think everyone starts with.....gravel. After years of disgusting weekly vacuum sessions and sometimes wild parameter swings with the gravel, I decided to do sand. It works great except for when large pieces of poop or food get trapped under it and also that my cichlids love building large mountains of sand directly against the front of the tank to block off the view of the lower 4-5" of the tank. Well now I'm thinking of tile because my cichlids can't move it around to make mountains, it's easier to clean, looks sleeker and most substrate spawning cichlids prefer to lay on clay pots or slate anyways.

But then the myths kicked in. I have done quite a bit of reading on the topic, but none of the discussions seem to agree on what type of tile to use and how to install it. Granite seems to be okay, but some of them use sealers that are lethal to fish. Ceramic and porcelain seem to be okay as long as they aren't glazed. Marble is okay for higher pH level fish since it alters water parameters slightly, but my SAs probably wouldn't like that. Then there is the method of installing it. Some use nothing, but have food and/or poop get stuck in the cracks. Some seal the bottom and top with epoxy, which is a little pricy. Some seal the tile to the bottom with silicone, but I read that the gases trapped under the tile will become toxic months or years later and if a silicone seam leaks, it could wipe out a whole tank.

So I'm just looking for a little advice on the safest type of tile (please tell me how I can identify it from the bad/harmful kinds in the store) and the safest way to install it in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
You won't get a consensus. I've read all the same stuff you have, not enough people use it to have it be well known.

From what I gather most materials themselves are fine, it's the sealing or glue or what not that kills you. Just go to a good tile store and ask.

For placement one method stood out to me. Put a thin (1/4") layer of sand down, then the tiles on top of that, then sand in the cracks. It'll be a firm enough set they won't move around, it won't trap gases, and if you want to remove them later you don't need to drain the tank and cut them out.

What look are you going to try? I figure the best two would either be speckled so it looks like sand, or multicolor odd shape so it looks like river bottom stones.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Lots of people use tile. I like the look myself.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
Try to find some slate roof tile from a roofing or hardware store. They are usually untreated natural stone. They come is various colors and sizes.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
+1 ive used slate before.

Silicone adheres to it very well also. Ive got a 76g with a slate background. Haven't lost a piece in 2-3 years since I set it up.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Thanks for the help everyone.

Not sure exactly what appearance I'm looking for. I'm wanting something with a natural stony appearance, but I'm still a little foggy in the types of tile that would be okay. I'll take a look at the slate roofing tile and see if it lines up with my foggy ideas. LOL

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I got the slate floor tile from home cheapo for $7 a bundle. I think theres a dozen or so tiles in each package.

I talked to a family friend who's a geologist. he assured me the slate was not going to leach much of anything into my water and it was pretty much inert as far as rocks go. I dont remember his complete reasoning but my african cichlids have been OK with it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store