My plywood tank build

Izhizm

Feeder Fish
Aug 3, 2014
Malaysia
hello everyone
I've been lurking around in this forum for quite sometime, and i'm now looking forward to embark on my first DIY 600 gallon peacock bass fish pond project!(2.46m x 1.4m x 0.85m ). Its going to look something like this ( not sure why the image is so small, not really familiar with this forum yet). Hey guys I hope you can help shed light on some general-thumb dimensions for this kind of setup

fish pond.jpg

I've bought some wood from a local hardware store and Im going to have them cut according to specs , but I have some questions begging for an answer.

(Red Seraya wood dimensions : 18mm X 88mm X3050mm).

i) According to the wood dimensions, would it be enough to build a strong-enough indoor fish pond to withstand 600 gallons of water ?
ii) what is the usual thickness of the wood needed for this kind of project ? 1/2 inch?

thanks !

fish pond.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I'm not a carpenter, but that stand does not appear to be designed well enough to hold 600 gallons of water. I would put plenty of joists, closely spaced, running across the top of the stand to support the bottom of the tank. The stand will support the weight of the tank no problem, but if the weight should shift front to back or side to side? There's really no cross support to prevent this from occuring. With 600 gallons of water this could be a disaster. I always way overbuild when dealing with something of this magnitude.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Here are some pics of my stand for my 600 gallon. Is it over built yes but is it sturdy as a rock yes. Double 2x4 everywhere.

uploadfromtaptalk1412253114041.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412253147017.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412253187832.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Izhizm

Feeder Fish
Aug 3, 2014
Malaysia
I'm not a carpenter, but that stand does not appear to be designed well enough to hold 600 gallons of water. I would put plenty of joists, closely spaced, running across the top of the stand to support the bottom of the tank. The stand will support the weight of the tank no problem, but if the weight should shift front to back or side to side? There's really no cross support to prevent this from occuring. With 600 gallons of water this could be a disaster. I always way overbuild when dealing with something of this magnitude.
Here are some pics of my stand for my 600 gallon. Is it over built yes but is it sturdy as a rock yes. Double 2x4 everywhere.
View attachment 1040241View attachment 1040242View attachment 1040243
Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
well thanks for all your feedback, really helped alot. I went to look around at other wood tanks and the panels are at least 2 inches thick, also when i refer to http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_1/cav1i1/pondDIYCalfo/diy-pond.htm I guess i'll just double up the ones i bought for further reinforce the overall structure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store