Viewing your tanks via webcam remotely for free.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
There are many ways to do this for free but here is one way that I recently used to be able to view my fish tanks remotely from my laptop and smart phone. It is completely free and easy to setup.

I will give you a brief explanation of what I did, but you can set this up as you like.

I setup 3 web cameras on a PC where my tanks are located. One webcam was pointed to each general area of where the tanks are. You can use a USB extension cable for the webcams if needed but past so many feet (I forget how many exactly) you will have to use a USB extension cable with a repeater, or booster.

I used free software called webcamviewer that allows you to select and view each webcam individually. The only issue with this software is that the images do not look as clear as when using the software that came with webcams.

Then you want to download TeamViewer and install it on the computer that has the webcam(s). I used this on my Windows PC, but they also have one for Mac as well. This software enables you to remotely control your computer from another computer or smart phone.

Once it is installed, open the software and under “Allow Remote Control” take note of where it says “Your ID” and “Password” which are both automatically generated. You will need these to remotely connect to this computer. One thing to note, the “Password” for TeamViewer will change each time the computer is restarted.

Now you want to install this software on the computer or smart phone you are going to use while you are away from home. I installed the TeamViewer app on my phone which happens to be an IPhone.

After you install the TeamViewer app on your phone/computer it will ask for the ID and password from the computer you have the webcams connected to. After entering the info you will be able to see and control your computer remotely. You can open the webcamviewer program or the software that came with your webcam. When testing this on your phone at home, make sure your Wifi is turned OFF. This way you can ensure the connection is remote through your cell provider and not local on your network.

I have used this many times over 2 weeks to check my tanks and it worked out great and did not cost me a penny.

So pretty much all you need to do is have a webcam setup on your computer, install TeamViewer (or any other remote control software) on your computer/phone, connect, and open up your webcam software.

This is just one quick and easy way to view your webcam remotely for free. There are many other ways to do it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store