My first Long nose gar

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Hey guys

I received my first long nose gar in the mail yesterday. He's about 5" and was eating small Gambusia within an hour after I put him in the tank. He's in a 40 breeder and will be in there till spring when I will put him in my pond. I would like to get him pellet trained before he's in the pond. Can anyone give me some tips on weening him off live food?

I have done a lot of research on him, but any other gar tips are appreciated and at the very least will be good reminders for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
where did you get it from? also post some pics. true longnoses are one of the more rarer species of gars in the hobby.

john

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
where did you get it from? also post some pics. true longnoses are one of the more rarer species of gars in the hobby.

john
I sure hope he's a longnose. I need him to be able to survive winters outside. I got him on ebay. risky I know, but he looks like the real deal to me. Then again I don't know much about IDing baby gar. Here are a couple pictures. IMG_2413.JPGIMG_2417.JPG

Also, if he is in fact a longnose, is there any reason why I shouldn't let him run wild in the pond for the next month fattening up on gambusia and then bring him in before things get really cold?

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Looks like small Florida gar. Nose will be longer on the longnose and no striped on the side. I will have a bunch of LNG this spring when mine spawn. Maybe you can get one then. The real LNG have a snout that's about 20% longer than the gar pictured. My opinion of course.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I know my pickerel, when hes hungry, will take frozen tilapia/frozen minnows (frozen to kill parasites but I don't believe in making a predator eat pelletized food) so thats the next step is to get him taking prepped or dead offerings. Try crushing pellets up, and "dusting" the minnows with it, then when you get him on dead food, do the same thing. If he associates the pellet smell/taste with food, it should in theory be a matter of time before he takes pellets.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Also starvation is good motivation. I use a feeder stick to get mine to eat meat first( shrimp, fish,ect....),then stick some pellets into the meat so it gets used to the taste . They get tame in about a month. If you have koi or other fish in the pond already accepting pellets ,that helps tremendously. A healthy fish won't starve itself to death. Should not be too hard to train it on pellets. Mine eat high quality floating pellets readily. Try the NEW ERA brand (they are soft and actually smell high quality), I really like Hikari Massivore (one of the best,but it sinks though) and Carnivore Sticks (floating,try softening them up for a minute in shrimp or fresh fish juices). Get it tame ,so it knows that you're the food source and you won't have a problem. I have never,nor any of my fishgeek friends have ever had a gar just absolutely refuse prepared food. Good luck. P.M. me your number if you want some real longnose sometime. I have some pictures I will send you of a pair of the baby LNG about 3" long swimming around with both their toothy little jaws on one minnow, refusing to let the other have it. Like 2 dogs on a bone! Lol!!!

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Get it fat then starve it, maybe when its a little bigger. Keep feeding it so it can gain some weight and length and then start pellet training or whatever when the gar is large enough, mine learned when they were 12 inches but they were Tropicals which are more accepting to different foods in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store