Window help for 4x8 footprint...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hey guys,

If someone were to attempt to put an acrylic window into a tank that is 30" tall and has a 4x8 footprint, and the acrylic happened to be 9/16ths of an inch thick, how big could the windows be? I know that a full length window is out of the question. Would it be better to do two 48" windows or three 32" windows?

TIA,

Rob

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
My 450 is 30" tall, 8' long and built with 1/2" acrylic...yes it bows but she holds just fine. On a build with windows they need to be supported 2-4" around the glass so itell be cut down even more leaving u with 26-28" of water at best so id say 9/16" will support the full length u have. Im a bit confused lol, r u using the pieces from the acrylic tank u have for that old fiberglass build :) ? I guess final answer is 2 48"x30" windows. They shouldnt bow much at all cut down that far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My 450 is 30" tall, 8' long and built with 1/2" acrylic...yes it bows but she holds just fine. On a build with windows they need to be supported 2-4" around the glass so itell be cut down even more leaving u with 26-28" of water at best so id say 9/16" will support the full length u have. Im a bit confused lol, r u using the pieces from the acrylic tank u have for that old fiberglass build :) ? I guess final answer is 2 48"x30" windows. They shouldnt bow much at all cut down that far.

Yes, I'm strongly considering using the acrylic tank that I have to provide the window for the old DIY tank that I started like a year and a half ago. It went into storage and sat there forever for want of funds for a window. I'm strongly considering cannibalizing the 365 to finish the 510. I'd rather have the 510.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Bigger always better:D

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
id go for the 500 then...that acrylic will work for u no prob and youll even have some left over for another build. Not hard to throw in a center brace on the front window of ur 500 frame and use 2 48" long windows since ur sheets(the 365) are 6' long. My last build was 1400gal...window is only 48"x15" but it certainly gets the job done just as well as a larger one. For the price of a gallon of weld-on #40 to fix the 365 ($135-150) you can pick up enough silicone to seal in the windows and touch up the 500 im sure lol...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks Russ! Between you and Chub-by I'm probably going to take the plunge and try to get the 520 finished!

I'm thinking I should do two 48" windows welded in the middle with a 6" or so piece of acrylic as a reenforcement hidden behind a center brace on the outside to hold it all in place. It seems to me that welding the two sheets would dramatically improve the strength.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sounds like a good idea by welding the 2 sheets together with a 6" piece. You could take care of that with a pint kit of #40 for $35. I dont think its absolutly necessary but it couldnt hurt. My only other suggestion is to look into types of silicone and sand the 2-4 of the acrylic to ensure it seals up well. I know reg silicone adheres well to epoxy paint but to acrylic it does not. Im sure theres a dap brand thats better or i suggest 3m5200 just to be safe.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Sounds like a good idea by welding the 2 sheets together with a 6" piece. You could take care of that with a pint kit of #40 for $35. I dont think its absolutly necessary but it couldnt hurt. My only other suggestion is to look into types of silicone and sand the 2-4 of the acrylic to ensure it seals up well. I know reg silicone adheres well to epoxy paint but to acrylic it does not. Im sure theres a dap brand thats better or i suggest 3m5200 just to be safe.
Could you please explain what you mean by "sand the 2-4 of the acrylic"? Do you mean 2-4 inches around the edge where it would contact the wood?

I was actually thinking of fiberglassing the tank, putting in the acrylic with silicone and then putting in the waterproofing agent (I've not yet decided which to use) largely because of the nightmares I've heard about getting acrylic to bond. Would this make life easier?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
U got it, I meant sand 2-4 inches around the acrylic for better adhesion sorry...tried to edit that and was denied... one fish keeping skill i am not experienced in is fiberglass. I assumed ur 500 was already fiberglassed and coated with a paint, thought i remembered seeing it all black lol...maybe not. Same as liner builds, people put the acrylic/glass over or under the liner or waterproof coating. Both ways seem to work but most people almost always put the liner or waterproofing agent down first, silicone, then glass. If it were me id fiberglass the tank/epoxy paint first then silicone the window in normally. 3m5200 will adhere very well to both the epoxy/fiberglass and to ur sanded acrylic. Its made for boats/port hole seals and fish safe. Honestly regular silicone will work with the water pressure alone but id spend an extra buck in reassurance by using the 3m5200.

For the idea ur proposing, the member "Spiff" has a build with a window sealed in reverse like that...he used a sanitred product.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
You've been a lifesaver, Russ.

After the glassing but before I put the window in, what would be your recommendation for a waterproofer? I was planning on using Wetsuit, but apparently that crap is horrendously expensive. If I can save some money, I'd be VERY appreciative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store