What kind of rocks do you guys use

GaCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Georgia
Right now I have a good bit of lava rocks in my 125 but wanted to change it up. I had picked up some that looked good but after soaking/cleaning it seems like there are rust spots. I really like the look of the rocks in the picture but have no idea what type they are. I like the clean look and how algae would look on them. I was also hoping this would make cleaning a bit easier with the rocks at that size. As opposed to moving around lava rocks

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I just go by the water and grab the smoothest river rocks i can find. I also have A LOT of lace rock from when my 180 was set up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GaCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Georgia
In my 75 I have base rock I had gotten but the food/gunk just settles all inside of it. I'm leaning towards going to a creek and start picking from there

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I just used a massive turkey baster to blast the c**p out of the nooks and crannies. The filters would suck up whatever was stuck there and the gravel vac took care of the rest

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
To the OP, the rocks that you show in the pics are limestone. Don't worry about brown spots etc, as long as you rinsed/cleaned them first those rocks are fine for a Rift Lake set up.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have taken rocks from ozark streams and used without cleaning. I wanted the critters and moss that came with them.
If it is from healthy water I think worth the risk.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store