Hello All!

DertyMerv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
washington state
Long time lurker, first time poster....

Ive been away from the hobby for a little over 2 years now but getting back into it. I used to have a bunch of cichlids plecos and other types of freshwater fish but Ive always wanted to keep rays. Up until recently i never felt i had the stability or the $$ to properly house and care for a few of them but now am ready to give it a go. Currently I have a 75 gallon reef tank, 40 gallon saltwater quarantine/nano reef, both are doing great couldnt be happier with them.

Onto the rays and the master plan..... I have this 150 gallon tank with wet dry filter and all the pumps and fixins to make a great starter tank for a couple rays while i shop for a big boy. then once i find or make the right size tank im looking for Ill use the 150 for a few discus's and a quarantine tank for pups or sick rays.

couple questions for now...

Substrate or not? was thinking of going with sand, using diy undersand jets, with no decor.

Im mostly interested in keeping BD, leopoldi, galaxy, pearl. Are these rays that much more difficult to keep than a marble? Am I crazy for wanting to keep one of the first mentioned ones as my first rays? Im not saying price is no object but if this is an animal I could possibly have for 20 years I want it to be something im totally excited about. Or would it be a better idea to get a pair of marbles and learn the ropes with them, but with the intent of finding them a nice home one day and getting the rays i really want?

The Big Tank, For me and my space I think 6'x6'x24"ish would be ideal, (I dunno the exact gallons here but guessing it would be in the 500+ range). Is it better to have a longer rectangle or shorter square? If rectangle what would be minumum size for them to do circles and not have trouble as adults? If square is 24 inches high overkill could i get way with 18ish?

I have so many other questions but ill save them for now.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate solid advice.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Do more research, then buy the ray you want! Don't settle!! If you want a BD... go for it. They are pretty hardy as far as rays go. I've tried both bare bottom and fine white sand... if you are going to keep black rays... leaving the bottom bare, in my opinion brings out the 3D look better.
20140823_012700.jpg
with sand and without sand
No sand.jpg

20140823_012700.jpg

No sand.jpg

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Agreed but go with sand, it is more natural for them. All rays love to blow in the sand looking for food and it gives them something to do. After all, they spend a LONG time in that tank and get no choice in the matter. We owe it to the rays to give them stimulation.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Agreed but go with sand, it is more natural for them. All rays love to blow in the sand looking for food and it gives them something to do. After all, they spend a LONG time in that tank and get no choice in the matter. We owe it to the rays to give them stimulation.
Never thought of it that way..but you are right! Someone should invent something to keep the rays busy!! lol Maybe some kind of sloped/bi-level tank where the sand is trapped in the lower section. And since we know the rays will bring some of the sand with them to the top level.. there will be some sort of powerhead to blow/direct the sand from the upper level back to the lower section! Best of both worlds!! hmmmm..... :naughty:

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I keep a couple of the plastic replica moss balls about 5cm diameter. They kick these around the tank all the time as well as a few small pieces of bog wood that they blow around the place. No stones anymore though, i have slowly removed them as the rays have got bigger. The last stones i removed were bigger than my fist! The rays would regularly move these from one side of the tank to the other and you would hear them knocking them against the glass.
Never thought of it that way..but you are right! Someone should invent something to keep the rays busy!! lol Maybe some kind of sloped/bi-level tank where the sand is trapped in the lower section. And since we know the rays will bring some of the sand with them to the top level.. there will be some sort of powerhead to blow/direct the sand from the upper level back to the lower section! Best of both worlds!! hmmmm..... :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store