Massive algae bloom in my 120

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Just recently got my tank up and running, however I had to put my fish in before I could fully cycle the tank. Was clear for a few days then bam pea soup. Since I have a few high oxygen fish I added extra airstones. I also covered the tank to black out in hopes that the algae will die off. Will it work to clear it up or am I wasting my time? I also have a sump system with a UV sterilizer running as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Just recently got my tank up and running, however I had to put my fish in before I could fully cycle the tank. Was clear for a few days then bam pea soup. Since I have a few high oxygen fish I added extra airstones. I also covered the tank to black out in hopes that the algae will die off. Will it work to clear it up or am I wasting my time? I also have a sump system with a UV sterilizer running as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Since its a new setup and not cycled properly I wouldn't advise anything except running your UV and water changes. The bloom is being caused IMO by the sudden increase of nutrients/ waste. Once things get time to settle in the bio filter you will be able to get it clear again.

Even running the UV to me is not advisable in a newly running tank, it is going to slow your BB progression.

I don't like leaving things entirely in the dark either some micro organisms that aid in bio filtration will reproduce better with light. I would just run a reduced lighting schedule.

If it were properly cycled I would just add flourish excel daily, as I've used this with discus up to large sa/ca's with no notable side effects. Both planted and non planted.

for me and the one properly logged cycle I did, it took 29 days with water changes everyday to properly and fully cycle with fish in and no deaths.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store