180 gallon stocking. What would you do?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Hey everyone, new here and about to be getting a 180 gallon tank.

I have no clue what to stock it with, I keep researching different fish and am having an issue with falling in love with every single thing I see.

So...if you had an empty 180 gallon tank, what would you do with it?

I know I want it to be freshwater, preferably a sand bottom. I had a bad experience with live plants in a betta tank I had once and it kind of scared me away from doing a planted tank. At least a heavily planted one, I wouldn't mind a few here and there just for some greenery.

Any and all ideas welcome, thank you.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
do you want natives or tropicals?

My suggestions on every "what stock do i get" post is...bichirs or pickerels haha.

bichirs are just fun fish to watch, I'm trying to find a way to set up a tank for some currently.

and pickerels are just fun little fish. not real active alot but if you take the time to properly quarantine and prepare good healthy feeder fish for them, they are fun to watch feed haha.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I think I'm leaning more towards tropicals. Cichlids are what have mainly been catching my eye but I'm not sure which ones. I'd like at least one or two large showcase fish, then some groups of medium sized ones to add in some more colors, and finish it off with a bottom feeder or two.

I do like bichirs but I used to have a 55 gallon and had a cobalt blue lobster that I loved and I'm extremely tempted to get another one with this tank. I'd be afraid to put a bichir in with him.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you want plants and cichlids then your choice will be greatly reduced, since most cichlids have a tendency to eat or uproot plants. Plants will work great and be safe with angelfish and discus in regards to cichlids

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm perfectly fine without any plants. I had a bad experience with them in a small tank I had, I was meaning to say if plants were necessary I'd do a few. But I'd much rather have rocks and branches in there than plants.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm not a huge fan of angelfish but I was looking at discus. I'd just be afraid with how delicate they seem. I have mainly been interested in African, central, or South American cichlids. So any compatible groups of those that could fit the one or two large showcase creatures, a few colorful mid size groups, and then a bottom feeder or two to finish it off would be great.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I'd do a sandy bottom, with a few river stones, driftwood and anubias.

Then a bunch of medium sized south american cichlids.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
For a 150 (SA theme)get a group of geos, sand bottom is better for them.then a chocolate and some kind of severum or acaras

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store