New World fry

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It's always a bit hard for me to tell fry of differnt species apart (even when next to each other), so I avoid combining them if at all possible.
Here's some to compare, feel free to add more.
Nosferatu bartoni

Herichthys beani

Paratheraps breidhori

Australoheros sp red ceibal

xCichlasoma grammodes

Cryptoheros cutteri

Gymnogeophagus quilero

Herichthys carpintus

Chuco intermedia

Nandopsis tetracanthus

Nandopsis haitiensus

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
No pics but when I got my groups of lents and coeruleus they were 3/4" and I could not tell the diff. Now they are separating out a little but still difficult.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I agree, usually those of the same genus are hardest to tell apart.
I don't mind growing them together if the plan is long term, but if I know they are going to be BAPed or distributed to other aquarists, I want to easily be able to not, get them mixed up.
I have had success growing Africans and new worlds together and still being able to tell them apart while very young.

above and below, are Mexican Nosferatu bartoni growing out with African Lepidiolamprologus elongatus, they spawned in divided 125 gal at about the same time.

Geophagines are more distinctive than non-eartheaters, and I've not hesitated to grow them out with others.

Even when older Nandopsis fry are hard to tell apart
haitiensus

tetracanthus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Until recently Herichthys bartoni, but the bartoni/labridens group has been given its own genus, Nosferatu, suggestive of the canine teeth.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10750-014-1891-8

Abstract
The genus Herichthys is widely considered to be the monophyletic representative of Cichlidae in northeastern Mexico and southern Texas. It is also the northernmost distributed genus of Neotropical Cichlids. Its distribution stretches over an area that is characterized by an intricate geologic and climatic history that affected its temporal and spatial diversification north of the Trans-Mexican Volcanic-Belt. We access the evolutionary history of the genus Herichthys based on a phylogenetic reconstruction using a mitochondrial fragment of gene Cox1. We evaluate its morphological variation, its correspondence with molecular differentiation and suggest a biogeographical scenario based on a molecular clock and demographic history. Furthermore, we describe Nosferatu new genus, composed of Nosferatu pame (assigned as type species), N. molango, N. pratinus, N. bartoni, N. labridens, N. pantostictus, and N. steindachneri. Genus is characterized by a transition to prolongation in the size of the symphysial pair of teeth relative to that of the other teeth in the outer row of the upper jaw; breeding pigmentation that consists of darkening of ventral area extending over nostrils, opercular series, or pectoral fins; depressed dorsal fin rarely expands beyond anterior third of caudal fin; and an elongated, elastic, smooth caecum adhered to a saccular stomach. We also describe Herichthys tepehua n. sp. found in the Pantepec, Cazones, Tenixtepec, Tecolutla, and Solteros rivers, in Veracruz, Mexico. Moreover, we provide re-descriptions for some of the species in Herichthys and propose a biogeographic hypothesis for both genera, based on available information on the geological and climate history of the area of study, associated to dating retrieved in our phylogenetic analysis.
Yeah, my goal is to grow them big so i don't care about raising them together. Nosferatu Bartoni?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store