Aquatop CF-500 UV Filter?

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
Does anyone have any experience with this model or any of their filters? My LFS has just brought these in and is pushing them over the Fluval and Eheim line. Their selling this filter for $119.99 with the coarse and fine pads but without the ceramic rings or carbon. The Fluval 406 which I have one of already is $189.99 and comes with all the pads and biological media. 70 bucks is a big difference in price even if you have to spend 20.00 for media. Any thoughts or comments? I've always been a Fluval guy and need some advice, is the 9W built-in UV filter worth it? It would be going on one of 90 Gallon tanks.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Aquatop is just a rebrand of Sunsun. Ebay have these for under $80 for the 200gal rated models(HW-304B). They work fine and are very quiet. I have 3 of these. FYI, priming these things are a PITA, but to get around this, all you have to do to is fill the canister fully with water first and you can skip the manual priming process.

I got mine here, plus this vendor have great prices on ceramic bio medias
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-Gallon-...134797418?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item4174f0926a

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I have two CF400-UV one on each of my tanks. It's more of a back up filter as I rely more on my sumps for filtration. They do help keep the water clear, even on one of my tanks close to a window. The UV is good enough to do low level sterilization, just for green water probably. For what it does it was worth the $100 a piece I paid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Another FYI I forgot to mention is that the intake tube and spraybar are on the thin side in terms of thickness, so they feel rather flimsy, but they work just fine.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Another FYI I forgot to mention is that the intake tube and spraybar are on the thin side in terms of thickness, so they feel rather flimsy, but they work just fine.
True. Kind of too flimsy in my opinion. I hate when i drain too much water from my tank and i loose the siphon for the intake. I'm trying to figure a hard-plumb for the intake. I already swapped out the return for a different one. The one I got with the set always leaked from the slip on point for the rubber hose. It was not cast correctly I think and couldn't hold a seal.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
True. Kind of too flimsy in my opinion. I hate when i drain too much water from my tank and i loose the siphon for the intake. I'm trying to figure a hard-plumb for the intake. I already swapped out the return for a different one. The one I got with the set always leaked from the slip on point for the rubber hose. It was not cast correctly I think and couldn't hold a seal.

Are you talking about where the green hose connection leaking?

In regards to the priming: what I do is wrap a couple of towels around the base of the canister and fill the canister nearly to the top with water and then reinstalling the cover. This will cause an overflow, but that's what's the towels are for. Now once you connect the hoses and turn on the power, you shouldn't lose suction nor have to manually prime. You may have to depress the prime button a few times just to expel some excess air.

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
After reading reviews and watching you tube videos I decided to stay with what has always worked for me so I went with another Fluval 406. Although the Aquatop got favorable reviews I was leery of all the negative comments on how flimsy the hose connections and spray bar was. My 406 is made really well and Fluval has been around forever so if I need parts I can run right down to my LFS and grab what I need, not sure if that's going to be the case with the Chinese brand Aquatop/Sun Sun. Did I spent considerably more? Yes I did but I feel more comfortable with my purchase. Wasn't getting that same feeling thinking about the Aqautop.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii

Yes, I think that part wasn't cast well, a little too irregular to hold the seal even with the rubber hose. You would think the rubber would allow a little unevenness with that part but I tried many times to get it to seal and it just wouldnt. My other one seals fine though.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

Yes, I think that part wasn't cast well, a little too irregular to hold the seal even with the rubber hose. You would think the rubber would allow a little unevenness with that part but I tried many times to get it to seal and it just wouldnt. My other one seals fine though.
Did you soak the hose end in near boiling water for about a minute? This really, really softens the rubber and makes attachments a ton easier. Make sure the hose goes all the way down to the bottom of the threads. Like I said, I have 3 of these canisters and I got a friend into these and he has 2 of them.......no leak issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store