live feeder preperation, what do you do?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all,

I was just sitting here at work...not working and was wondering about live feeder prep and the methods people use to get their feeders safe for their predators.

My personal rituals are 1.5 weeks quarantined in a malachite green bath, and gutloading with epsom salt soaked flake or pellet food. Prazi Pro is also a part, but in smaller than normal doses because I'd rather have it on hand for my predator fish than the feeders. The ones that live I know are disinfected haha.

During feeding time I take the feeders I'm feeding for the day, drop them in a salt bath for 5-10 minutes before feeding (ya I know its really not enough time to do much, but its like one of those peace of mind things)

thats my routine, let here yours!

P.S. Before anyone says "RAWR PELLET TRAIN YOUR FISH ITS THE ONLY WAY!!!" I only pellet feed fish that would take similar offerings in the wild. My catfish eats pellets and live, because well they eat things off the bottom and hunts. My pickerels eat live, because thats what they would eat normally.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I open a can of NLS no feeders never had it never will.
Right, like I said, pellets for fish that would take them normally, feeders for fish that I would have to starve in order to force them to eat pellets.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Right, like I said, pellets for fish that would take them normally, feeders for fish that I would have to starve in order to force them to eat pellets.
For what its worth, animals in the wild goes through long and short periods of starvation regularly.

Never had a pickerel, but my small mouth bass took easily to pellets. Pellets is convenient and about 0% of disease introduction. Like you already are aware, that salt bath is a waste of time in terms of disinfection imho

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
For what its worth, animals in the wild goes through long and short periods of starvation regularly.

Never had a pickerel, but my small mouth bass took easily to pellets. Pellets is convenient and about 0% of disease introduction. Like you already are aware, that salt bath is a waste of time in terms of disinfection imho
oh bass take well to pellets no doubt haha that is for certain. same with bluegills and pumpkin seeds.
pickerel are primarily piscivorious (sp?) in the wild however, as I'm fairly certain all of the esox species are.
so for me to force them to eat pellets...just doesnt feel right. Bass will eat anything edible that hits the water haha. as for the salt bath, oh hell ya its a waste of time haha but it helps me sleep better hahaha.

I know pellets, if I'm going all crazy about this hobby being a scientific experiment, is the way to generally go, i get that I do. I also know live feeders are taboo here on this site, and very few people will admit to preferring them. this being due to nutrition and disease primarily. But if you take the time, effort and patience to prepare feeders through medication, tank maintenance, and proper diet they are twice as healthy to feed your wet pets than a processed pellet. thats just my thought process on it. So whether pellets are preferred due to convenience, pure laziness, or the need to make sure your fish is the starting quarterback of the tank, I just cant wrap my head around it haha.

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
To answer the question... 2-4 week qt ... During that time i treat them with prazipro and feed them a high quality flake/veggie for goldfish. ( no different then What most people do or should do before adding new fish to a system, that most never do) Blackworms are well rinsed and any flatworms picked out... Night crawlers are kept in organic soil for a min of 1 week and i buy them from a trusted source.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
In the old days when I did this. Nothing, I would dump them straight in the tank... I guess I got lucky as I never had any issues. Then later in time I'd put them in a spare tank, which would weed out the sick feeders

Nowdays...I don't do it anymore.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
But if you take the time, effort and patience to prepare feeders through medication, tank maintenance, and proper diet they are twice as healthy to feed your wet pets than a processed pellet.
Ya, that's a pretty weak argument, especially when that feeder has been soaking for 1.5 weeks in a malachite green bath. Scientific evidence indicates that leucomalachite green, a metabolite of malachite green, may be a genotoxic carcinogen which persists in fish tissues long after malachite green can no longer be detected.

That, and a malachite green/prazipro cocktail may or may not cleanse ones feeders of ALL of the various pathogens that they can sometimes be carrying. Picking up a domestic superbug from a feeder isn't natural to a wild fish, either.

And just for the record I have no issue with those who feed live or frozen food, I only advocate doing so responsibly which IMO typically means raising your own in a controlled (biosafe) environment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store