Hobbyists vs non hobbyists.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
All my family members and friends think I'm crazy for enjoying this hobby. And people in my school wonder why I like to keep "stupid" fish and spend so much money on them. Some kid approached me in school and asked "dood y do u spnd monee on fish thryr jst gona dai anywayz juzt bai a dog" I tell him that dogs will die anyways too and he says "wel dogz r cute and fish r dum" and I tell him to keep a red devil for a year and then come back and say that and he says "wuts a red devl?///" Any other situations like this you've encountered?

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yes!!
I had some chick at work pretty much tell me the same thing. I told her to go watch the R2 fish school video and come back and tell me if she still thinks fish are dumb. :hitting:

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
I overheard a discussion between girl in my art class about kissing fish. She was so upset cause they got big and were hurting other fish and would not die. She said she was happy they dies after 8 years. Like wtf??? Noob!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
When I encounter people who just don't get it, I like to try to explain things to them and then show them the fish. Most people, even if they wouldn't spend the money themselves, can appreciate what I've done and respect it for what it is. The immature ones who can't? I don't waste my time with them.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
as I sit here and watch my 180 fill, 4 more tanks to go i am pondering if a hobby. Is having a dog a hobby? rabbits, cats, gerbils, is fish keeping the same as wood working? car restoration? is it about the tank design and the fish just decor? I do know I am not a fish owner, i am a fish keeper. and perhaps that's the dif .

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I don't even try to justify myself anymore. People will always have their opinions....their dumb opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I've been fortunate that most of the people who see my tanks are impressed as opposed to confused. I don't share the cost often, simply because it can only be justified by how interested someone is. Some people buy new phones, some new cars, and some artwork, my interest just happens to be fish keeping. Many well cared fish will outlive a dog, some by dozens of years so that argument is a bit weak.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store