Will this work??

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Just an idea I have rolling around my brain... (small space with lots of obstacles)

For my 125G that I am rebuilding. Would it work to have a series (8 or 9) 4" PVC pipes stood side by side along the back of the inside the tank for bio. The idea is to connect them so that water flows in through a series of slots or holes in the first pipe, then out through a connection at the bottom to the second, out through the top into the next, and so on until the flow reaches the filter intake. Fill all the pipes with Bio balls creating an inside the tank bio pre filter. All the pipes would be capped at both ends (removable caps for the tops), and connected with short sections of pipe to allow flow to the next pipe. The pipes would be as tall as the tank, and since the back wall of the tank will be black, the whole setup would be near invisible behind a wall of plants..

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It will work but who knows how effectively. For efficiency you'd want a huge surface area media. That's when the price will go way up. Bio balls are not nearly as efficient as other medias submerged

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Ya, I know. This set of pipes will lead into an Odyssea 11i and return under gravel. The entire system might sound like overkill, but the idea is to keep the current slower for the Ropefish who will call this tank home.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I'll be honest, I dont see the point. I understand you want to slow down the flow, why not split the return? One end goes to a spray bar at the surface, the other goes to the under gravel return you want. Between those two flow should be pretty slow already.

While I can get on board with extra filtration your plan will take up a third of the tank, it will collect crap around the PVC and there are better ways to filter a tank. It seems to me as a whole this would not be worth the time, money or effort to make it happen.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I think this sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Use your current canister filter, then after it add additional bio if you find it necessary. Doesn't even need to be right away, add it when fish get bigger. To add bio just hook up a fluidized bio filter on the return line.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Thanks for the input. I always appreciate the opinions of those who have more experience than I do.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Well, the Odyssea 11i filter arrived today... holy huge filter!! This thing is monstrous! I don't think I need to worry about the idea I started this thread with. Running this thing to a RUGF will be way more than needed for 125 gallon tank with five or six Rope Fish and some feeders. The filter alone holds fifteen gallons...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store