DIY Box Filter

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Its a dreary rainy Saturday night and I'm doing a little maintenance to a few of my filters. I figured I would do a little post about a box filter I made since I couldn't find a manfactured one with what the feature I was looking for.
I have a couple of 29gal tanks, one with a 4" small mouth bass and one with a 5" pumpkinseed sunfish. The smb tank has an hob and a sponge filter. The pumpkinseed's tank just has a bio-wheel hob, and I wanted to add an additional bio filter. I didn't really want another sponge filter just because I find it a bit of a PITA to clean, so I was thinking an old fashion box filter. Just fill it with ceramic media, some filter floss, and a power source and you're good to go. I especially like these because maintenance would be a cinch, since you just toss the floss and add new ones. However, all the manufactured box filters are designed to used with air pumps and I wanted something much quieter. Looking throughout the internet, I didn't find anything that fit the bill, so I used a little imagination and made my own. The heart of the system is a mini submersible water pump I got off of EBay for $5. This pump is rated at 80gph which would be perfect for my 29gal. So here is what I came up with and its been working great.
IMG_20141004_192904.jpgIMG_20141004_193207.jpgIMG_20141004_193222.jpg

IMG_20141004_192904.jpg

IMG_20141004_193207.jpg

IMG_20141004_193222.jpg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I love box filters. You cannot beat their simplicity and effectiveness. Filterfloss is the best thing ever.

I have 2 pumps identical to that which I picked up for next to nothing during a pond supply clearance sale and had no idea what to do with them.

Great idea.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Thanks. I'm going to be making more of these for my other grow out tanks. Only I paid for on this set-up was for the $5 water pump, everything else I had lying around. Cheaper (and better) than a manufactured box filter, way cheaper than an hob, and quieter than both.

FYI, the container I used is a 500g NLS cichlid pellets container. Its about the perfect size in relation to the pump, and the container is built beefier than most household plastic containers.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You could also make it with a mason jar. Until I read the text I thought That's what it was made from.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You could also make it with a mason jar. Until I read the text I thought That's what it was made from.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'd thought about using a glass jar, but plastic containers allows the entire filter to be pulled out (and placed back into the tank) via the power cord......thus never having to get your arms wet :)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Ive got a half dozen box filters that ive always kept on hand for emergencies. im in the Process of a tank build and redoing some of My tanks.

I dusted a few of them off and put them to work. I was amazed how well they polished the water. I had no problem pulling my 406 off my 75g and replacing it with 4 box filters filled with biomax/floss and 2 sponge filters.

I can only imagine how much better your version works. I am going to shamelessly steal your design and utilize my 2 small pumps.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store