Why is the ban on Asian Arowanas still up?!

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Is the government too stupid to see that these guys are being mass bred in farms all over Asia? There's plenty of them available, they won't go extinct from the hobby. I really wish I could own one but congress is so stupid and will likely never make them legal. They're legal in Canada, why not here?!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The powers that be are well aware of the fact that Asian aros are being bred in farms and apparently that has no effect on their position.Take a look at the umpteen other threads on the Asian aro/U.S. legal situation.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
From what I've learned from the members here. Even though they're being mass bred, their population in the wild is still extremely low and they don't plan on releasing any to replenish the population.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
That reason is flawed, as fish like Paretroplus Menarambo or Paratilapia Bleekeri are severely endangered in the WILD and are completely legal in the aquarium hobby as they are mass bred like Asian Aros

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I would venture to guess that it's just an outdated system. I can't say for certain, but I assume it just doesn't have enough demand.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I feel like a thread like this pops up every two weeks.
Yep,which was why I suggested to the op to read the other threads.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Is the government too stupid to see that these guys are being mass bred in farms all over Asia? There's plenty of them available, they won't go extinct from the hobby. I really wish I could own one but congress is so stupid and will likely never make them legal. They're legal in Canada, why not here?!
Have you written your congressman about this?

Crossback James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Agree with Krichardson, whom has already been bombarded with my opinion on the matter, in another thread!! FluffySackson, we don't know exactly why your Government continue to uphold the ban but some of us believe that, if it was lifted, not only would the wild species but even the farmed species be put under enormous pressure, for various reason. Common sense and research may point towards these claims too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store