Bought my first Dat today!

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
After waiting so long, I finally bought my first Dat today. :D He is only 3 inches. He seems so shy though, I dont mind the shyness, I just hope he can grow nice and big while holding his strip and gold colors. Will he always be a shy guy or might he change once he grows alittle? He is currently with a silver aro, severum, bichir, tin foil, leporinus, and silver dollars in my 180gal. (All are pretty young still, and yes I already know that once they grow out I will probably get rid of some)

Can anybody tell me anything about Dat behavior?!?! Thanks!!!

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
I envy you. Had a small one years ago but lost it with tanksful of fish during a winter power failure that lasted some 3 days. I want another one now. They like Salt in the water as they're brackish water fish. we used to put a TEAspoon full of salt per gallon in a 26-29 gal. Congratulations.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Thanks turtall, hope you can get another one soon! :)

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
turtall said:
I envy you. Had a small one years ago but lost it with tanksful of fish during a winter power failure that lasted some 3 days. I want another one now. They like Salt in the water as they're brackish water fish. we used to put a TEAspoon full of salt per gallon in a 26-29 gal. Congratulations.
But not the Pulcher (widebar) or the microlepsis (Indonesian). These are pure freshwater fish. The brackish species are the silver datnoid (quadrifasciatus) and the thin bar...I think.

Although salt is always good for "some" fish, not all fish require it. You can also train that fish to eat beefheart, or frozen bloodworms. I would fatten it up nicely with feeders, and start training it to eat your less expensive food.

They love clean water, and does not tolerate high pH or low pH.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=50395&genusname=Datnioides&speciesname=pulcher for the pulcher info, and

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=14506&genusname=Coius&speciesname=microlepis

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
how much it cost u if i may ask i got mine for $20 at 3 or 4ins so i was wondering what price u paid for compasment

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
congrats on the new dat. word of advice, it only takes one dat to kick start the obsession for more dats.

post a pic of that little bugger... do you know what kind it is (widebar, indo, thin bar, silver, NGT)???

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Congrats on the awesome pickup!

Expect to see more outgoing behaviour when he packs on some more size.

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Gr8KarmaSF said:
After waiting so long, I finally bought my first Dat today. :D He is only 3 inches. He seems so shy though, I dont mind the shyness, I just hope he can grow nice and big while holding his strip and gold colors. Will he always be a shy guy or might he change once he grows alittle? He is currently with a silver aro, severum, bichir, tin foil, leporinus, and silver dollars in my 180gal. (All are pretty young still, and yes I already know that once they grow out I will probably get rid of some)

Can anybody tell me anything about Dat behavior?!?! Thanks!!!
congrats on getting ur 1st dat. i got a couple of them, and i love them. i esp love how they can grow until giant size! i have seen 1feet or more in size dats.

what color is it now? is it stable? the thing about dats is that there are different quality dats.

Some dats are always black and unstable no matter what tank environment they are in, the rest of their dat tank mates can be stable but their color will always be black and unstable, its in their genes. Where else, some dats are always stable no matter how.

So when you chose dats, make sure you pick those bright stable dats from the tank. so that it will save u lots of unnessary worries and stress.

Dats are predatory fishes, and they dont really eat pellets. they love live feeders, but for some individual dats, they may not take to market prawns immediately and you have to starve and train them to accept mps. Dats can also be trained to eat dried shrimps. But since yours is a small one, pump it up with market prawns 1st.

They do well in groups a handful in a tank, as they love to play and chase each other round the tank. But if there the bully gets too extreme, do seperate them..

vzgoth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
VA
Congrats ! ! ! :clap :clap :clap

I've been looking for 1 for years!

Just too cheap to pay for the shipping! :ROFL:

Any pics yet? :drool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com