Siluridae idea

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I've heard that wels on farms grew on large tanks with relatively warmer waters and minimal light to stimulate activity.

Inwas thinking of incorporating these techniques for mybwallagos. Do you guys think itvwill work?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Think the warm water won't work too much. Thing is, wels go dormant in the long winters in their native ranges. The farmers obviously don't want them to not grow for half a year, so they keep the water warm year round. Since the wallago already come from warm environments, you can't really make use of this.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Think the warm water won't work too much. Thing is, wels go dormant in the long winters in their native ranges. The farmers obviously don't want them to not grow for half a year, so they keep the water warm year round. Since the wallago already come from warm environments, you can't really make use of this.
The wels are usually found in the 20's area. And from what i've heared the farms kept them at 27~. My bigger leeri and attu grew pretty fast last summer (its tropical here as well). However, its the rainy season now. I was thinking it would also boost their metabolism? Meaning they eat more and prompting me to do more wc:/ but nothing a little drip system can cure.
I've read that wallagos are around the 25 range. I believe it was extremely hot here last summer reaching to peaks of 34 degrees i think. Im thinking of keeping my temp constant at 30~.

Quite frankly, i dont know why im thinking of this:)) these fish grow fast as is and may only devour others if they get big too soon:)

It may be moot but i think the idea is pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
The wels are usually found in the 20's area.
In the summer!!!

I was thinking it would also boost their metabolism? Meaning they eat more and prompting me to do more wc:/ but nothing a little drip system can cure.
Yes. Remember, though, higher temperature = less O2, so I'd put an airstone on there. Also, faster metabolism means shorter lifespan which you will need to consider if you want them to live long.

Quite frankly, i dont know why im thinking of this:)) these fish grow fast as is and may only devour others if they get big too soon:)
Exactly ;)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Adaptability varies between animals, even within families and genus. Plus, it is usually a complex matter, e.g., adaptability may be enhanced or reduced by water hardness, chemical composition, current, turbidity, substrate, diet, oxygen levels, etc. and these may have an unpredictable effect on the how a fish handles a long-term temperature change. You know, e.g., synergistic and antagonistic effects, etc.

What you are thinking is an experiment that likely has no answer yet.

Who farms wels and for what purpose? They are too slow growing and too cannibalistic to even be remotely considered for food fish farming. If for restocking the areas where they are in danger or for stocking new areas, then yes, but I cannot imagine this to be large scale and unless the new areas are hot, there might be no reason to raise them at higher temp than the yearly temp and cycles they have evolved in.

I seem to recall vaguely that some wallagos are raised but why and how, IDK either. If they are, those conditions would apply more directly to your experimental prerequisites. In other words, adaptability of wels does not translate in that of wallagoes.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
@viktor: They are farmed around here, albeit not extensively. The fry are either sold as pond fish or raised to about 2' when they are slaughtered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store